Chapter 18 - the brits

I rewrote this chapter after the girls won last year, so some of it might sound familiar :)

Narrator POV

The next day of rehearsals goes much better. No one has a nervous breakdown in between. So, to everyone's relief, they can prepare for the Brits as best they can and as best as time allows it. The Brits are always a very special event. The best of the best of the British music are guests, only the best are nominated and the girls are often among them. Only the awards have failed to materialise. When they won the first and only time, Best British Single, it was the greatest and most magical moment in their lives. Never would they have expected it and yet it happened. It felt like they had finally reached the top, like they were finally being taken seriously. And lo and behold, they are now headlining their first major tour in America and it couldn't be going better for them. If only one band member didn't have a secret that could soon mean the end of the tour, if not of Little Mix. If there weren't two members with a secret that could also bring the end sooner than expected. But that doesn't change the fact that today is the big day when they hope to finally reveal it.

The day should be beautiful and magical. But it couldn't start any worse.

"I'm fine!" says Jade again and again, but Perrie doesn't want to hear any of it, she doesn't believe a word she says.

After yesterday's rehearsal, they were both euphoric. After they both had a small breakdown the day before and could hardly look at each other afterwards without feeling new tears, they just held each other tightly in their arms for a long time in the evening. They talked about their fears and dreams, until they didn't speak at all and just looked into each other's eyes. They both needed it. To feel each other's closeness and support. The next day went much better. Everyone was so focused on the show the next day that there was little room for other thoughts. And to Jade's surprise, she was doing quite well. The usual symptoms have not disappeared, of course, but they are not as present. So she can end the final rehearsal before the Brits with a good feeling, which makes Perrie in particular grin broadly.

She can only think of the time, where they were secretly together and tried hard not to show it, but at the same time didn't really pay attention to who watched them.

Flashback - Perries POV

I've never been so nervous walking onto a stage before. The audition for X-Factor, the final of X-Factor and every bloody concert we've done after that will never come close to this moment. We're performing at the fucking Brits. A moment for the history books. On top of that, we're nominated for two awards. Granted, none of us expects to win one of these awards because we're up against One D and Adele, but the performance alone is the highlight of our careers. We all feel that opportunities like this don't come often and we want to make every second on that stage count. But now, moments before it starts, we are all shitting ourselves. All the warm-ups have been done and now we're all nervously bouncing around on the spot. But my favourite brunette seems particularly nervous, fiddling with her outfit and just looking at the floor as she paces back and forth. I quickly forget my own excitement and walk towards her.

"Are you okay?", I whisper softly.