Chapter 19 - the aftermath

Perrie POV

It was a fantastic, magical night. At least that's the feeling that stayed. How it started, I forgot through all the euphoria. The fact that Jade was very unwell in between, I think I blocked out through our triumph and thanks to the alcohol. And so did she.

But when we take our seats on the plane, fasten our seat belts, continue to laugh loudly and take off into the air, reality catches up with us. As if Jade would be able to think clearly again with the second we take off, I suddenly hear her gasp and I am immediately sober again.

"Pez," she just breathes, but it's loud enough to silence the rest of the plane. Everyone is staring at her, some wondering and unsuspecting, some worried. I would like to jump up immediately and rush to her, but we are still taking off and are not allowed to get up. So I just sit her, waiting and feeling absolutely helpless.

"Close your eyes and take a deep breath," I tell her desperately and I see that she follows my advice, but her face still looks pained.

"Just breathe, I'll be right with you," I'm whispering and I know very well that the silence is not good, that all eyes and ears are on us.

"What's wrong?" asks Sam quickly and I just shake my head, continuing to watch Jade's face spellbound.

"Perrie, talk to me," Sam demands now, but I can't, I can't get a sound out and I just pray that I'll finally be allowed to unbuckle my seatbelt.

"She's still having some after-effects of the pneumonia and the evening was probably a bit much for her," Leigh explains instead and I know full well that Sam isn't buying it, but for now she seems to be taking it.

And when we finally hear from the pilot that we're in the air now and can unbuckle, I jump up faster than I've ever moved before and am already kneeling in front of her when she opens her eyes.

"What do you need?", I whisper.

"I...I," she stammers, still with her face wrenched in pain. And I don't even wait for an answer, I'm already sprinting to my bag and pulling out the big medicine case I just picked up earlier. Without thinking too much, I open it to look for the pills from earlier, when I hear Jesy marvelling behind me. "Goodness me, what are you planning? What is all this?" she asks, stunned, and as quickly as I can I close the case again and pack it away after finding what I was looking for.

"Perrie?" she probes further, but I ignore her, having no idea how to explain all this. Instead I go back to Jade, press the pill into her hand, open a bottle of water and press that into her hand too. "Take these," I say urgently. And with shaky hands she follows my instruction and leans her head back wearily, whereupon I stroke her forehead, which is far too warm again.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, but I shake my head vehemently.

"No, don't be," I say quickly and she seems too tired to contradict me and closes her eyes instead. And I pray that this time she falls asleep quickly and soundly, so that she can at least get some rest. Even though she is a bit sweaty, she seems to be cold, so I put a blanket over her and hold her hand tightly until she falls asleep. And when I get up again to join the others on the couch, all pairs of eyes are glued to me and I know for sure that I won't get around it this time.