Chapter 34 - Christmas lights

Jade POV

Perrie is stressed. The last two days have been filled with preparing everything for the coming visit and Christmas. She loves Christmas, almost more than I do. And when I was finally discharged from the hospital, she seemed to notice for the first time that there are only a few days left until the big day. We were so engrossed in my hospital stay and recovery that we completely blocked out the thought of Christmas. I didn't even think of getting us both advent calendars, like I'd loved to do.

When we got home and it got clear that we were going to do the festive thing this year, Perrie freaked out. In no time she put on a Christmas jumper and Christmas socks and started preparing. First, once again, she cleaned the whole flat. Then, for the first time in a long time, she left me alone to go to her house, only to bring all her Christmas decorations from there. She decorated the whole flat and put up her big Christmas tree in front of the glass window wall, nicely taking away my view. Then she went shopping and left me alone for another two hours, a big feature I left uncommented considering her stressed out mood.

Meanwhile, I spent the entire time either lying in bed or on the couch, watching TV or her, of which I was only half aware. I would have loved to help Perrie, but apart from the fact that she specifically forbade me to move in any way, I was quite happy about it. Being in the hospital has done more damage to my body than anyone ever thought possible and I still feel very drained and exhausted. The thought of muddling around all day getting the flat ready for Christmas rarely sounded so exhausting. So I listened to Perrie entirely without argument, plopped down on the couch, snuggled into a blanket and longed for her to finish all her self-imposed chores so she can join me.

In the evening, when the sun has long since set, she finally plops down beside me and lets out a loud grunt. I can do nothing but grin broadly.

"All done?", I ask with a laugh.

"Yes, thank God," she replies, quite out of breath. "But now we are ready for Christmas."

"I'm glad," I can't stop laughing because Perrie has made such a huge effort.

"And what did you do?" she then asks.

"Exactly what you told me to do and not a jot more," I explain proudly.

"Good girl," she replies with her eyes closed. "What else do you want to do today?"

"I did what I wanted to do all day. It's your turn," I clarify, already seeing that she wants to disagree. "Perrie, don't you dare."

"All right," she gives up surprisingly quickly, though, which in turn leaves me grinning.

"I'd like to order food. I'll be cooking enough for the next few days."

"Sounds good, Indian?"

"You know me too well," is her reply and she is already ordering.

"How's your food?", I ask after a while of watching her literally stuff four different dishes into her mouth.