Chapter 2

(Lucas POV)

Another day she arrived to school by riding the school bus. Another day she walked in wearing her headphones and ignoring everyone in her path.
Time seemed to slow down as I saw her walk down the halls. I know it may seem like I'm a stalker, but honestly I don't care because I care about her. She is on my mind twenty four seven and no matter how much I try to not think of her, it just doesn't work.

Tonight my basketball team was going to the semi finals. I haven't played one game this year, but I'm just glad I can support my team!

from the bench...

Every game I scan the crowd in hopes that Max and my friends are standing there supporting me. And every game I get disappointed when I don't see them. She may have broken up with me months ago,
but that has never stopped me from caring about her and her well-being. Recently I could tell she has really been struggling, and all I want is to try and help her.
"Yo Lucas you coming?" My team mate James said to me. I looked away from Max and turned to face him snapping back into reality
"Oh yeah yeah, just give me a sec" I said stuttering over my words a but. I reached my hand into my locker quickly grabbing a few books before I ran through the halls catching up with him.

—————————————————

"Now can anyone tell me the equation for the quadratic formula used in this question" my math teacher Mrs. Gibbon said looking around the classroom. Nobody dared looked at her as her eyes continued to scan the atmosphere. "Max! Since you have been so quiet this class why don't you tell us!" Mrs. Gibbon exclaimed with a snarky tone
My head immediately turned toward the back of the room where I saw Max who's eyes were wide in concern and fear.
"I..umm...I'm sorry I don't know" she spit out quickly taking her headphones off her head and sitting up in her chair
"Well maybe you would if you payed attention for once!" she snapped at Max causing her to stare at her blankly and scoffing at her as she replaced her headphone and returned to listening to her music ignoring the teacher once again.

Mrs. Gibbon ignored Max's reaction and continued on with her class. My eyes lingered on Max a bit longer taking in her appearance before shifting my gaze back to my teacher listening to her boring math material.
The class bored on and every so often I would look back at Max and every time I looked she was just looking off into the distance tapping her foot to what ever song she was listening to.

————————————————————

"Hey Max wait up!" I yelled as class ended running up to catch up with her
"Jeez Lucas you really just don't give up do you!" She stated clearly annoyed with me
"I just wanted to say I'm sorry"
"And what are you sorry for?" She said stopping and turning to look at me
"For Mrs. Gibbons response to you" I said a bit hesitantly
"It's whatever honesty. She's just a bitch to me no matter what I do so it's fine" she said starting to turn away from me
"I just! I just wanted to remind you that I'm here if you need anything okay?" I say trying to get even an ounce of emotion out of her
"Dooley noted" she said in a monotone voice rolling her eyes and walking away into the crowd of people who were also swarming the halls of Hawkins high.

——————————————————-

Five minutes. Five minutes left in the semi final game and we were down by ten. Max and the others never showed up to this game which in a way left me disappointed, but it never would have mattered because once again I warmed my favorite spot on the bench watching Jason yell at the rest of the team telling them to 'Do this for Hawkins and all who we have lost'. Such bullshit. If only these assholes really knew what happened to their so called friends. If only they knew that the mall fire was just a cover up for all the shit that has happened over the years.
Looking back to the Autumn days of eighth grade and how the new normal for me and my friends consisted of monsters and supernatural powers. I smile in those memories considering that's when I met Max. I wonder now, if I had never told her all that shit about the Upside down, if I never had involved her in all that dangerous knowledge if things for her would have turned out better.

I snapped out of my thoughts when hearing the whistle of the ref signaling it was time to get back to the game. Second by second Hawkins High made a come back

I guess Jason speech really spoke to them I thought to myself. In the end we won not only the game but we won ourselves a spot in the championship finals! Man I was stoked. The rest of the team left the arena hooting and hollering in excitement. The main stars of the game made their way to Jason's car, probably to go party, and I made my way to my parents who were as excited as I was. Tomorrows game was going to be a game changer not only for Hawkins, but for me.

—————————————

Sorry that last part was really cringe...but you get to deal with it

Hope y'all are enjoying

Don't forget to vote and comment!