Chapter 14

(Max POV- past)

    Time continued to pass by and with every passing second I could only feel the jittering of my hands and the shakiness in my breaths. Looking at the clock nearby, my knee continued to bounce to the rhythm to the soft melody of Don't stop believing that played in the background. This time felt different. I continued to think to myself, and no matter how many times I tried to distract myself from the inevitable doom I was setting myself up for, my mind only reverted back to the conversation that any second now would occur. Sure we have broken up many times before this, but this time wasn't like the rest, and deep down I didn't want it to even happen.            
    Five more minutes went by until I heard an echoing pounding occur behind the door across from me. Hesitantly I stood up and slowly made my way to the door. Grabbing the door knob, I let out a shaky breath, and slowly turned the knob revealing a concerned looking Lucas on the other side.

    "Hi" I said unsteady. From the look on his face I knew he knew something was up between us. "Hi? Is everything okay" he said slowly trying to read me and my expressions
    "Just come inside" I stated hastily, stepping aside. Lucas walked through slowly and followed me as we made our way into my room. Closing the door behind me I turned around and saw him sitting on the edge of my bed, his eyes following my every move. "Max, is everything okay?" he asked

    "Umm no" I said simply refusing to meet his eyes. "I just feel... that with everything that it may be the best fro both of us, if... if we break up. And it wont be like the other times where I- I say that, and then next week we get back together. This time is for good" tears started to brim the edge of my eyes as my words came to a halt. Gaining courage I lifted my head up and finally looked at him. His face presented no emotion, but his eyes were filled with sadness and sorrow.

    "Wait max no, we can work through this whatever it is we can work through" he said standing up from the bed and making his way to me. "I know I haven't been there for you as much as I should have, and especially since he was your brother. And for that I am sorry, but you can talk to me about those things and I will do everything in my power to ensure you are alright" looking away I felt his hands softly grip mine caressing them softly. "We can work through this Max" his words this time sounded less like a promise and more like a plea. This past time of us being together has been better than the rest, and sure if Star-court never happened we might be in a better place.
    "I know Lucas, I know. It's just. I am not in the best place right now, and because of that I feel like I'm holding you back. With you now being on the varsity team, us being together would only distract you from being the best that I know you can be ''These words that just left my mouth definitely did not sound like your normal everyday Max, but once they left they didn't stop. "I'm sorry Lucas, I am so sorry" I said with tears now leaving my eyes. Looking down, his arms wrapped around me in a soothing way. "I understand Max... just promise you'll talk to me if you need anything" his voice cracked

"I promise"

(Present)

Through the night, sleep wasn't an option for me. After all the events of the day my mind has been in a constant state of fight or flight. In a way I should feel relieved... I beat Vecna. But if i'm being honest, I know I didn't. I can still... feel him, feel his presence. It's almost like he never left.
     The hours of the night ticked by, and soon enough it was seven am. After hearing the noise of clattering dishes echo from upstairs I decided to make my way up the stairs of the Wheelers basement.

    "Oh good morning Max!" Mrs. Wheeler bellowed cheerfully at the sight of my presence. "Morning Mrs.Wheeler" I stated in a breathy tone giving her a small smile as I made my way to the table. Looking over at Holly I noticed her drawing with colored crayons and got an idea.
    "Hey Holly, could I borrow those for a second?" I asked her gesturing my hands at her crayons. Looking up at me, she simply nodded and gave me a few of her colors. About an hour later the sounds of pounding steps followed by breaths of relief came from behind me. Turning around to look a saw a relieved Nancy and Dustin making their way in my direction while exchanging few words with Mr. Wheeler.