Chapter 7

(Lucas POV)

    "Good luck" Max said handing me the ticket and walking into the bathroom. When the door closed I lingered there for a minute with a concerned expression staying in my face still looking at the door she entered moments ago.
If only she would let someone in and help her. I get she has her therapy sessions with Ms. Kelly, but that doesn't seem to be helping. I know I'm not her first choice of a person to open up to (or any choice at this point) which is why I am persistant and hoping that one day she will crack and maybe once that happens she will have some happiness in her

    I contemplated whether I should stay and wait for her or just leave. In the end I decided to leave her alone for now and to get ready for my championship. Tonight is going to be different I can feel it. At tonight's game I am going to play. Even if it's just a few minutes, that is all I need to prove my self to the team, and maybe finally after that I can break this nerd profile and fit in with the cool kids.

    "Your Lucas right?" A high pitched voice echoed from behind my locker door. I closed my locker in confusion to who would be talking to me. Looking over to my right my eyes widened when I realized that it April Wilkins.
    April was on varsity cheer with Chrissy and all the other preppy girls at this school, she was also popular and if I'm being honest...hot.

    "Oh! Umm yeah, yeah, I'm Lucas" I said trying to compose myself.
    "I'm April" she said letting out a laugh and running one of her hands through her hair.
    "Yeah I know. I mean! Nice to meet you April" I said with a smirk spreading across my face.
    "Well, I was just wondering if you were planning on coming to the after party at Bennys when we win the championships" April said dragging her hand along my biceps.
    "I not sure yet, mainly due to the fact that I don't think I would be welcomed"
    "Nonsense! Well if you do go and you find yourself getting bored I'll be around" She said shining her doe eyes at me. Her hands made their way to both my shoulders caressing them almost like the way Max did when we danced at the snow ball

    I know I should be thrilled with the idea of April Wilkins being all over me here and wanting to be all over me at the party. But. My mind keeps racing back to Max. She is the only girl I have eyes for. And even though a moment with April is any guys dream, it's not mine. No matter what happens in this world I will always love-Like Max.

    "As much as I would love to take you up on that offer, I-" stopping mid sentence I spotted Mike and Dustin walking in the halls. "I- I have to go actually" I rushed shoving her hands off of me and running in the direction of my friends

"Mike! Dustin! Wait up!"

———————————————————————

"I don't get the big deal! Just talk to Eddie. Get him to move Hellfire to another night" I stated to Mike and Dustin as we walked to down the halls heading to the lunch room. Due to my game tonight I have to miss our finale of Eddie's Hellfire campaign. And yeah it sucks but I just don't understand why they can't move it to even tomorrow night.
"Just talk to Eddie"
"Why don't you just talk to your coach and get him to move the game" Mike said
"I think that's a great idea Mike" Dustin said agreeing with his stupid statement
"Thank you Dustin"

"This is the championship game!"
"And this is the end of Eddie's campaign! A semester of adventuring has lead to this very moment, and we need you!" Dustin said.
"Yeah and the tigers don't. You've been on the bench all year!" Mike retorted to me. Damn Mike. At least I was good enough to make the team.
"That's not the point"
"Please arrive at the point"
"If I get in good with these guys, I'll be in the popular crowd. Meaning you guys will be too" I said explaining my reasoning behind what I've been trying to do for them for the past year
"Has it ever occurred to you that we don't want to be popular?"
"So you want to be stuck with the nerds and freaks for the next three years?" Annoyance rang in my voice as I spoke. And if I'm being honest I felt a bit hurt by them being so admit about this
"We are nerd and freaks!"

"But maybe we don't have to be! Look, I'm tired of being bullied. I'm tired of girls laughing at us. I'm tired of feeling like a loser. We came to high school wanting things to be different right? So now we have that chance. I skip this game, and that's all out the window. So I'm asking you guys. As a friend. Just talk to Eddie. Get him to move Hellfire. Come to my game. Please" I spoke with pleading eyes. Looking at them blank expressions were spread in their faces. Before any of us could say anything else the Belle rang. Letting out a sigh I walked in side and sat with Jason and the team.

————————————————————-

"Let's give it up! For your Hawkins Tigers!" The announcer spoke to the crowd as they all began to clap and cheer in excitement. We all began to file out onto the court for warmups. Every so often a teammate would high-five me or pay my back.

"And now is time for our national anthem!"

Tammy Tompson began to sing our anthem in her muppet voice that almost made me go deaf. I turned around briefly looking back hoping to see my friends standing there to support me. But as my eyes continued to scan the crowd they didn't come into view And I realized that they chose a game rather than supporting their friend.

Time continued to move and nearing the end of fourth quarter. We were down by a few points and struggling to get a basket. I began to zone out when Jason suddenly called a time out and ooos began to emit from the crowd
My eyes snapped back to court seeing Ryan on the ground holding his ankle in pain.

"Sinclair. Your in" my couch's voice yelled from beside me
"What?" I said in a half confused have excited voice
"Your in!" He repeated. I ripped my warm ups on and entered the court joining Jason in the huddle.

"Their gonna try and take Jason and double team him. That is gonna free up Patrick" couch said to us in the huddle
"Wait no no no no. Coach you gotta let me take the shot"Jason argued "let me find a way. Just get me the ball. Get me the ball!"

The game continued as the ref blew his whistle. Everyone began to play out what coach had told us to do. Once Patrick got the ball he handed it off to Jason who took a shot at the basket. We all ran to the basket as the ball started to circle out of the net and towards the ground.
    Without thinking, I jumped up grabbing the ball and slithering out of the circle of players who were trying to get it out of my hands. I dribbled it to just in front of the half court line and turned around seeing there was five seconds left on the clock.

    The crowd started to get louder shouting and yelling at me to shoot the ball with the time continued to tik down. Time seemed to go in slow motion as I began to make my shot.
    I bent my knees and used that momentum to jump high in the air. I hurdled the ball towards the direction of the net and just in time. The buzzer went off and the ball continued to fly in the air. Everyone held their breaths anxiously. The ball teetered on the rim before finally going into the net putting the Hawkins Tigers up by won point, also meaning me won the championships!

    My eyes grew in shock as I realized that I had just made the game winning shot. The team started sprinting to me and lifted me in the air chanting my name. Looking around the gym I noticed Steve jumping up and down in excitement and sending me a big thumbs up.
    Everyone continued to congratulate me as we walked out and most importantly Jason himself personally invited me to the after party at Bennys. Life was turning around for me, and it was certainly for the better

———————————————————-

Hello my lovely's

Hope you guys liked, if not leave any suggestions

Don't forget to vote and comment! Love y'all