3. Feelings

The accident three years ago had taken a toll on my life. It was a life and death situation for me. Someone had paid the truck driver to ram into my car and they were successful at it. I was in a coma for nearly 2 months with ventilator support. My vital organs were damaged and my kidneys needed a transplant. Due to lack of mental strength, I succumbed to depression, which added to the slow healing. My survival was a miracle. The doctor had already told me to have no hopes on my body. There were multiple internal infections and bleeding which resulted in multiple organ failures. Any injury could also prove to be lethal. The doctor had also indirectly mentioned that I could be impotent. This had never affected me until today. I had gotten used to the fact I was never meant to be loved. My mother left me alone which resulted in my father detaching himself from me. My stepmom acted as if she loved me to trap my father for his money. Being a single child I craved the love and bond of a sibling. When Karan and Kiara were born, I was so happy to have them in my life. But my stepmom shooed me away from her kids saying I was an ill omen to them.

It was not until this accident, that my father realized how badly I was traumatized. The day I regained consciousness in the hospital, my dad hugged me and shed tears of joy. But getting no reaction from me, he realized that our relationship was broken beyond repair. I was happy that my dad had realized his mistake and thought that he would make efforts to improve our relationship, but he made no move whatsoever. I was alone, again.

Any woman who would marry me would anyway suffer. The baggage of my past has always haunted me. Anyways, who would want an insecure, impotent, and lonely man as their husband!

Shaking my head off these thoughts, I headed to my closet, pulled out a pair of sweatpants, and hopped into the shower. The warm water stung my skin like the reality I was in. Drying myself up, I popped in the pills and pulled the comforter to my chest. My uncle's words about that girl stirred a strange emotion in me.

Warmth?

Hope?

I am sure she would reject me knowing about me and my so-called family. Sighing, I drifted off into a slumber.

It was Friday today and surprisingly I felt like visiting the cancer institute. It was started by me and was managed by my uncle. I started it soon after I began to earn because I know how costly cancer treatments are and how badly they impact a person's health. And now, almost once a week I visit that place. I generally visit them on Mondays and spend a few hours with the warriors there. I never liked calling them patients. They were too brave for their own good. Kids, teenagers to adults, and a lot of people were given affordable or almost free treatments. I picked up my Audi SUV keys and headed towards the cellar.

Parking my car in the owner's place, I headed towards the ground floor where my uncle's cabin was. His assistant told me to wait as he was speaking to someone important.

Important?

My uncle never hid anything from me and I was always free to barge into his room. Who was this special person, he didn't want me to meet?

I was waiting there for the past 10 mins and there was no sign of them leaving the cabin. I decided to quickly visit the champions and then come back to have a word with my uncle. In the evening, the people here are served a variety of food and delicacies. It was made in a healthy way that wouldn't affect their health or medication. This also helped them escape from the bland food they had to eat due to the diet specified by the doctors.

Everyone here knew me as Dev, nephew of uncle Omkar. They didn't know that I was the CEO of the leading company in the country, The Verma Enterprises. There was this four-year-old girl Riya, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor. She was the only one who wouldn't like anyone's presence, even mine. She would scream and wail when the doctors approached or when a nurse would change her dressing. She would sit in a corner and play with her angel. A soft toy that was gifted to her by her 'angel'. Her mother was a maid, so she had to leave her here in the hospital, finish her work and come back in the evening.