9. The Aftermath

DEV's POV:

I woke up to someone whispering.

"I am not hungry. I'll have it with Dev." A voice said. It did seem like Mithra.

"You sure? You have been sleeping since you woke up and you're not hungry?" Another voice asked.

"Yep, positive. I just wanna cuddle Dev. He's so warm." Mithra snuggled into my chest. An involuntary smile crept on my lips as I hugged her close.

"Fine. I am keeping lunch here. Finish it off by the time I come." And the room fell into silence.

**************

Probably an hour and a half after that whispering session I opened my eyes to find someone groaning. I snapped my eyes open to see Mithra moving uneasily. I quickly patted her cheeks to wake her up. She abruptly sat up and instantly calmed seeing me. That brought a smile to my face.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" I asked worriedly.

"Nothing serious. Just some cramps in my leg due to the bandage. Let's have lunch. I am hungry." She gestured to the bag on the table. Quickly helping her into a seating position, I opened the boxes and began feeding her. "Even you are supposed to eat." She said.

"I will, after you." I said, feeding her the next bite.

"No, now." She said, and before I could react, she forced the spoon into my mouth. I glared at her while she smiled, opening her mouth for another bite. We were quickly done with our lunch when Arjun and Anjali walked in.

"No safe house available." Arjun said, as he sat on the chair beside Mithra. "Any other plans? Before you say anything, no, I am not letting you stay alone." Arjun added before Mithra could speak anything. I looked at them confused.

"Ma, baba, dada and bhabhi don't know about Mithra's condition. Once she gets discharged, until she heals completely, we can't take her home. She has to stay with someone else. And today our friend is also not available." Anj filled me up.

"Oh! She can come with me, if you guys have objections." The three heads snapped towards me. Arjun had a disinterested expression while Anjali seemed excited. Mithra had a look that I couldn't decipher.

"That's perfect. We can even visit you anytime. " She exclaimed happily. Arjun muttered an annoying 'fine' while Mithra sighed. Was she not happy coming with me? Is she? Is she still angry with me? Oh god!

"I'll help Mithra change while you guys fill up her discharge payments." Anj said and we left the room.

"Wait here Dev. I'll finish the formalities." Arjun said, placing his hand over my shoulder as he walked to the reception. I sat myself down on the chair, trying to ease my nerves over Mithra's reaction. Will she be able to forgive me? I should not have spoken to her like that. I should not have avoided her. Oh no.

My self deprecating thoughts were broken by Mithra's voice, "Dev, are you okay? You look pale!" She said, examining my face. "Yeah, I am alright. Let's go." I picked up her things from Anjali and led her to the car. Helping her into the passenger seat, I jogged towards the driver's seat before we sped off from the hospital to my penthouse.

"What's wrong Dev? You still won't tell me?" She asked again.

I sighed. "I am sorry, but don't be mad at me. Your indifference hurts badly." I apologized.

"Dev, I already told you once and I am telling you again, I am not angry, not mad, not hurt, nor disappointed. Okay?" She asked me.

"Then why were you unhappy leaving the hospital with me." I couldn't help but voice it out. She chuckled.