10. His Birthday

DEV's POV:

I woke up to someone ringing the bell of my house. Looking at the clock on my nightstand, I sighed. It was 11:55 in the night and someone decided to interrupt the sleep I could ever get. I got up to open the door. I didn't mind wearing anything above my sweatpants. I was shocked to see Mithra and her assistant waiting at the door. She pushed me aside and stepped inside. She carried a box in her hand, while he carried a bouquet and another box.

"Thanks, DJ. I'll see you in the morning." She said and DJ nodded and left, closing the door behind him.

"Will you mind explaining what is all this? At this ungodly hour?" I asked.

"Will you mind putting on a t-shirt at this ungodly hour?" She teased back.

"Fine." I rolled my eyes at her sarcasm and put a t-shirt on. By the time I was back the table in the living room had a cake with a candle on it, a bouquet and a gift box. I frowned at the setup.

"What's all this Mithra?" I asked.

Looking at her watch, she signaled me to wait. After a few seconds, she picked up the cake and spoke, "Happy Birthday, Deva."

I sighed. No one had celebrated my birthday since my mother's death. Neil and Rohan would wish me, but since it was a sore topic for me, they never celebrated it. My dad initially sent gifts a couple of days later after my birthday saying he was busy with work, but that would never suffice the hollowness I felt every time.

"Thank you," I muttered.

"What's wrong?" She asked, cupping my face in her palms. Her face filled with worry and concern.

"Nothing, it's just that no one has celebrated my birthday until now. I lost hope ever since I lost my mom. Neil and Rohan do wish me but do not celebrate it. Thank you for all of this." I said holding her hands that held my face. Kissing me on my forehead she said.

"I shall celebrate this day, every year without fail. I love you. How can I miss celebrating such a blissful day which reminds me of your existence? Cut the cake quickly, I also have something else for you." I chuckled at her words. She was different. My birthday would hold so much importance to someone, knowing this felt blissful. I blew the candles and cut the cake. I fed her the first piece and she reciprocated the same. She went ahead to smear the frosting on my nose and cheeks. I laughed at her antics and spread the frosting on my hands in her cheeks. The room was filled with our laughter and fun. I didn't miss her love you. I probably must get used to it now. It is Mithra and it shall always be her. I need not get tensed for such trivial matters anymore.

"Here, this bouquet is for you. I heard that you like sweets a lot, so here is one filled with it. And this is for you." She handed me the bouquet and another loosely wrapped package.

"What's this?" I asked, curious about the slightly heavy package at hand. It opened to be a cute golden retriever pup sleeping in a basket.

 It opened to be a cute golden retriever pup sleeping in a basket