Chapter 6: A change right before chaos

8th August, 2042

Japan was sitting behind his cold metal table, with Federation right before him. Two glasses of water were lying on table, untouched. Finally, the European spoke.
-Why? -
These words were no suprise for Japan. He knew FFN for some time now, since The Second Space Race.
He had tendency to be impulsive, emotional and often formed bonds with people he cooperate. One of few things Japan personally liked in him was his attachment to honor and morals.
-I figured out that this alliance is not as beneficial as I thought before - he answered.
-You see, there is nothing that could make me benefit from this war by being in it. It would be just a slaughter of my people, and you know how much my mother neglected the problem of society getting older. And I think I don't have to remind you thet I'm stuck between two world superpowers. This war you're preparing for is just... Pointless, for me - and then, the Sunrise Kingdom heard words that were the most surprising words he could've ever heard.
-Thank you-
Japan widened his eyes in confusion.
-Thank you for making clear that you won't take a part this war. That you left the alliance early enough to not ruin any plans it had. That you're leaving within rules of conscience - Five Nations explained. Then he got up and walked towards the door. But before he left, he turned back to the Asian.
-Keep eye on Taiwan. He'll need your help - be said, and then closed door.
Japan smiled. Keep an eye. Oh FFN, you couldn't make bigger coincidence.
Then he pulled out a small ceremonial knife and a bandage, large enough for whole head, and placed them on cold metal. Then he looked at his reflection on it. Just normal asian face, but with red circle in middle and black triangle at the bottom. He looked as the triangle slowly faded away. Here, he thought. Promise broken. And then he picked up the knife, knowing that this will be the last thing he ever sees.