Chapter 7 part 2: Blood in flames

24th September, 2042

-You sure it's him!? - Germany said to a small radio attached to his left hand. He was wearing full tank equipment, and in fact, he was inside of one.
-Correct sir, I have visual - voice from radio said.
-Then keep it that way. He is our number one target, dead or alive - the Empire gave out order. But then metal box he and two crews were in shaked.
-We stepped on a land mine - one of them said, looking at some kind of screen.
-The tracks are functional - he added.
-Great. Keep up with others - Germany commanded.
-Yes sir!-
As fighting went on, the surroundings changed. Not like they pushed fascist forces out of the city, no, they changed because of something completely different.

They have barely moved a few meters.

Fight went for so long that buildings were almost lowered to the ground, and streets were covered in a muddy mix of dirt, crushed concrete and things that once were considered human body parts. That of course made moving any vehicle problematic. Now it was just test whose machines will hold longer - thicker armor of white army or superior firepower of brown army. After that, last useful cover on the battlefield would be lost, and remaining soldiers would end up either killed or captured.
Fight was still going, as two sides were desperately trying to destroy each other's vehicles using what was left - light and heavy machine guns, cannons, artillery, even handguns went to action as rifles ran out of bullets. Planes were crashing over the battlefield as they used last reserves of fuel, yet neither side tried to use them as cover, fearing the possibility of getting stuck in the goo that ground now was.
As evening fell, less and less shot could be heard, as two armies used up all their ammunition.
Then awkward silence dropped. At this very moment, personifications of both Western and Eastern France considered exactly the same thing - retreat.
Western France didn't wanted to report attack as failure, because all plan was based on taking it before german reinforcements arrive.
Eastern France didn't wanted to give up her capital, as that could destroy morale of her armies, and lead to losing whole war.
But... Was the close-quarter combat worth it? As modern bulletproof armor was susceptible to slicing, casualties would be much bigger. Even that Western France was totalitarian, he was nationalist. He knew that he fights against his own people, and that made him want to end this war with as low amount of deaths as possible. Yes, he would certainly allow Germans and Spaniards to kill each other, but life of loyal French wasn't price he is going to pay for death of other one, even a traitor.
He finally made his decision, and activated his mobile radio.
- All remaining soldiers, withdraw. It's not worth it - he commanded.

Germany was suprised when he saw fascists retreat. He looked at them from his tank's visor, expecting some sort of trick. But only thing that he noticed was how close they were to pushing the battle out of city.
That was, until one of his crewmembers said something.
-Sir, radar detects over a hundret objects on the sky closing in! - Empire heard. But still, it wasn't all.
-The amount of them just tripled! -
-They must be enemy planes fireing rocket at us! Draw back into less destroyed part of the city! -
-We can't! Tracks are broken! - soldier replied, while pulling out his hand to open hatch and get out of broken machine. But Germany stopped him from doing that.
-Don't leave the tank! We have to wait until first rockets hit! - he ordered, knowing that escape on bare foot is impossible. His subordinate listened despite his doubts.
And then, missiles came.
What happened next Reich only registered as blurry feeling of shaking in large metal box filled with smoke accompanied by screams and explosions. First thing that he saw after that was a person with both legs ripped off, lying on the ground. He barely noticed that she was a woman, but it didn't matter at the moment. He turned his head to the other one, and seeing that he is mostly fine, he quickly gave him an order:
-Take her out of here! -
Then he walked towards a hole that was made by one of rockets. It was nearly big enough for him to walk out upright. He cursed when he got burn on his leg while exiting the wreck, and looked around.
There were people everywhere trying to help each other. Some of them were medics. Some just tried to take the injured closer to where they thought working hospital would be.
But Germany couldn't find France.
And he couldn't just watch for her, other things had to be done.
-You! - he pointed at closest soldier.
-Call to the nearest base for immediate transport! - he ordered.
Then he found her. She was just lying there, ignored by troops around. Reich came to her and picked her up. She was unconscious and had broken her left leg, at least that Germany could see.
He picked her up and walked towards trucks that were coming.
All he remembered after that was just blackness.