Chapter 15: Death is always close

31st December 2042

That's not what Germany imagined he'll be doing in new year's eve. He planned to take a short vacation and enjoy the fireworks while far away from politics and media. But no, the war has started and there was no time for such things. Empire looked at one of the screens inside the command center. The push was going well, but the snow caused their supply trucks to fall behind, forcing them to stop for a day again. Well, at least he was getting 8 hours of sleep unlike the countries defending in the east. Speaking of which, Federation of Five Nations went missing yesterday after taking a flight with his airwing, and that was very concerning. The only good news were that Turkey haven't captured him for sure, otherwise he'd send them an ultimatum including threat that he'll kill FFN if they do not cooperate.
That was concerning anyway. What if he's laying in the enemy territory, too hurt to walk? What if he died? The rest of member nations of the Federation can take his place, but only temporarily, only he can represent all five nations at once. Without Poland, as much as he hates when I call him that, the Federation falls apart, making way for the URSR's armies to walk and kill me, Germany thought. That would mean two front war, something his nation was known to fail at. He looked again at the map, trying to form a plan for the hundreth time today, but he just didn't have enough reconnaissance to get any idea. The question marks on the table symbolized any enemy force that had unknown size and equipment, and there was far too many of these than the Kaiserreich would like to see. Looking at numbers, western French and Iberian armies were worth of pity at best. Small armies, lack of strategic resources or production capabilities. But they knew how to make these numbers count. Defending alone gave then a large advantage, air battle was still going, and every line was fanatically fighting until all men were dead or close. Multiple times defenders preferred to blow themselves up together with their enemies. Scenario of the Ukraine War was repeating. Army that on paper would obliterate their enemies failed to continue fighting. Logistics didn't run on time, often ambushed. Moralle was dropping. Tanks were getting destroyed by handheld launchers in one hit. At this point, the very basics of their tactics had to be rethought.
Suddenly, a ringtone was played near the door, making Germany look at them. This was restricted area for high ranked officers, who would want to see him? Suspicious, he picked up the rapier he left on the couch earlier. He got a little paranoid after the war started, and had uncomfortable situations because of that, like nearly killing an overconfident journalist with the very rapier he had in hand. Slowly, he standed on the left side of the door so he would be hidden by them after they opened, and pulled them.
In the same moment bullet went through the room and hit the wall. It was clearly meant to pierce his skull, fortunately his little fear stopped him from conventionally opening the door. Little thinking, Germany leaned out and hit his opponent's pistol, knocking it out of his hand, and tried stabbing him in his throat, however the sword bent on the uniform, only pushing him away, making his two comrades catch him. Noticing them, Empire shut the door and locked it. Simple plywood couldn't stop bullets however, and they missed him barely. At least they didn't see him and had to fire blindly. He moved away from the door, not wanting to get shot. His "visitors" now decided to fire around the lock, seperating it from the fake planks that made the door, and kicked it open. Three aggressors jumped in, guns ready. At this moment Germany had his own pistol in hand. He shot the furthest enemy in the head, bullet ricocheted from his helmet, but knocked him on the ground. Then the country leaned towards the exit, but didn't run. Now that both assassins were in line, he pushed one onto another, and stabbed him between the hidden behind goggles eyes. With an unpleasant sound, the blade pierced skull and went deep into brain. Not bothering to pull it out, Germany kicked third attacker's gun out of his reach, and wanted to stun him by beating him with his gun, until he heard a silent click.
It was the first attacker, the one Germany temporary stunned with a ricochet. He was aiming at Kaiserreich's exposed head. Empire quickly realized that by any moment his brain could land on the wall behind him. Time stretched. He could count the miliseconds they stared at each other. He was paralyzed by the realization his life could end right here, with one pull of a trigger. Watching his assasin do it was painfully slowed down, as if the universe wanted him to fully experience his own downfall.
And then it all sped up, almost like the time wanted to catch up to when it should be. Two gunshots and pain in his left ear. Before he could notice, he was sitting by the wall, medic touching his head with something wet and warm.
No, it was cold. Something else was flowing from his head, some thick and warm liquid. He was bleeding, but not dead. How?
- What h-hap-pened - Germany managed to say.
- You were attacked by western French assasins. We managed to take the last one down,  but he shot you in the ear - the medic responded.
- Will I loose my hearing? - he asked more stably.
- No, nothing important was hurt, but the difference between ears will be slightly noticeable -
Germany was still shocked. Even in the middle of battle, he wasn't afraid. Fighting with your enemy eye-to-eye was something completely different that sparring duels or commanding a tank. Before, he thought he wasn't afraid of death, but today showed him how much he was scared. Having a gun pointing right at you, ready to take your life was a whole new experience in the worst meaning possible.
He was mortal.
He knew that earlier, but didn't realize the power of this. Germany felt like he shrunk, like he was reduced to an insignificant particle in the universe that can disappear at any moment. It was a horrible feeling.
- Sir? - the medic was worried by the changing expressions on the countryhuman's face.
- Sir, are you alright? - he questioned.
- Yes, I'm fine, I just got lost in my thoughts - the Empire responded, and got up with man's help.
- Sir, we need to get you stitches -
- Let's go then - Germany promised himself to never put himself in such situation ever again.

This chapter's short, but I didn't want to overstretch it. Sorry!