Chapter 16: Decisions

1st January, 2043

- Any news on Federation? - Germany spoke to the microphone of new encrypting device.
- Nothing, he's gone for now - the voice of Czechoslovakia-Hungary came of the device.
Germany sighted.
- Have you informed his member nations? -
Cz-H coughed before answering.
- Yeah -
- And how did they reacted? - Empire kept asking.
- Differently. Lithuania was nervous after hearing this, Belarus was quite shocked and Ukraine took it calmly. "We are gonna make it", she said - the response was followed by a series of coughs.
- You don't sound well - Germany noticed.
- Must've catched a cold. The heater has broken few days ago - the explanation made Reich shiver. He had some issues with snow, but he didn't wish anyone to be stuck in the northern balkans in the middle of winter without a heater. Ok, maybe the URSR. That guy deserved to be freezing in Siberia for everyone he sent there. And Iberia; Germany noted to never feel sympathy for fascist nations. Especially his family members.
- Keep holding the offensive for a few days. We need Federation to tell us what exactly happened - he told Czechoslovakia-Hungary.
- Actually, I already know what happened. -
- What? How? - Germany couldn't hide that he was suprised.
- One of the pilots that went on the mission with FFN has come on foot to us. He said the amount of planes they faced was enormous. Way more than estimated amount Turkey could produce -
Cold sweat was on the Empire's face.
- If Turkey really has so large industry... - he started, but Cz-H interrupted him.
- No, I don't think that's it. I already asked Ukraine, she confirmed that air activity radically dropped recently in there -
- So they moved most of their air forces to the balkan front? Risky - Germany commented.
- Unless they knew we're planning on attacking - CKCH stopped to cough a few times. - They probably have a spy in the higher ranks if they focused on air forces so much -
- I doubt that. The amount of people that know such details is limited and we are making sure these won't deffect in various ways. Trying to sell information to the enemy is a death sentence for them - That wasn't an exaggeration. In the Kaiserwehr desertion or spying for other countries was punished by death. It wasn't diffirent in the Federal Military of Five Nations, Restored Soviet Army, Iberian Armed Forces or any military involved in the war.
- The facts speak for themselves, Germany - Cz-H argued.
- We must check everyone that could've known about that plan and sentence anyone we find guilty. Otherwise we'll have more situations like this - he continued, letting out a little cough at the end.
- You're more willing to sentence people to death than I remember - Empire doubted.
- This is war - Czechoslovakia-Hungary responded.
- Because of this motherf*cker I watch more of my men die than I can count. It must be shown that we won't screw around with such things - his voice was very decided, and his words reminded Germany of his unpleasant history.
- Hungary, we're not dictatorships to just kill people around - he spoke to the machine's microphone.
- And we're not some soft republics to let such crime slide - CKCH said, or rather barked angrily, and hanged the conversation.
Germany looked at the roof and sighed. He knew Cz-H was right; treason was punished by death by his law, and such crime clearly deserved an extremely harsh punishment, yet is he really going to look someone in the eyes, and soullessly write a death sentence?
It's a traitor, said voice in his head. Traitors must be punished. Slowly, Germany relaxed. It's war, people are dying, and traitors like these are causing more deaths. Execution is painless anyway, and will propably save more lives than it will take.
He was going to get up and get to work again, not only to start looking for the propable spy but also finish paperwork. He's got weeks of fighting behind him and that made him put his civilian duties for later, but ultimately they catched up to him.
He barely managed to stand up from his chair before a soldier came into the room, standed on attention, saluted and reported:
- My kaiser, we have captured enemy country personification! - the message stunned Germany. What? How? He didn't even dream about getting such a valuable prisoner! The war could be basically over at this front! Before he asked who was captured, two other soldiers dragged the prisoner in.
Empire was suprised by seeing the countryhuman with a flag in colors of white and black.
- Brittany...? - he asked quietly. The other personification noticed him and standed up.
- Germany? Thank God you're here. Your soldiers are complete fools. I literally walked into the camp and exclaimed my presence, and they still took me as prisoner -
- Do you have diplomatic immunity? Did Iberia send you to negotiate peace? - Germany asked.
- What? I wasn't sent by anyone, I escaped! - small region seemed to feel insulted.
- I came here to tell you about the situation on the northern part of the front. Logistics there aren't enough for the needs of the local force, and the locals are not very sympathetic towards the fascist rule - Brittany said it like it wasn't a classified information at all.
- And how do you know that? - Germany was suspicious of the gift the universe was giving him. It was too good to be true.
- I've been conspiring for a long time. That central government in the south doesn't like the idea of local patriotism, and that's against my intrests - the monochromatic "nation" explained.
Germany measured him and said
- You want to help us in exchange for independence after the war, don't you? -
Brittany raised his hands.
- No, I'm loyal to France! I just want to be respected region, not a place where people are only allowed to go out of their homes for work! -
- How am I sure this isn't a trap? - Empire still wasn't convinced.
-Well, I'm here. I wouldn't lie like this when I'm practically at your mercy -
- Alright - Germany finally agreed.
- But if something goes wrong and this attack fails, the responsibility goes on you, and that means you will be put under the military court. Do you understand? - Brittany nodded in response to that. Germany turned his attention to the three soldiers.
- Take him and find him a place to sleep. He's not a prisoner, but have your eyes on him. If he tries anything funny you're free to force him into the arrest. You're dismissed - the three men in uniforms and lone countryhuman left the building, soon followed by the Kaiserreich.
When he entered the planning room, now filled with members of German high command debating what to do about offensive stopping, he touched his deformed right ear; a reminder of how easy it really was to die. He started picking what the generals were talking about.
-...like the Ukrainian War! Attacking now will put us through a meat grinder. We have to start fully switching to heavier tanks before we resume the attack - one said.
- No, I'm sure we're missing something - the other replied.
- Surely there's a weakness in their defenses we can exploit -
- Your way of thinking is too short termed - third one added.
- We have to strike deeper. Logistics, industry. Bleed them out before we strike -
Germany hemmed, dragging people's attention onto him. The generals standed on attention and saluted in unison.
- Stand down - he ordered while approaching them.
- I've got an information on status of fascist defenses - he started, pausing in case someone tried to interrupt him, but no one did.
- It's still to be verified, but we got the person that gave this information in control. If it turns out to be false, they'll take the consequences - the Empire explained as he reached the map displayed on the table.
- The informator claims that local anti-fascist groups have sabotaged logistics in the north. The response force there should lack fuel and ammunition to operate at maximum efficiency. What I propose is that with use of French royalists we break through there and before they reorganize, we capture the northern coast. That will allow us to redirect most of our fleet to stop Iberian support from arriving through sea, securing the overall strategy of disconnection - Germany finished, waiting for reaction.
- Brilliant idea! - the general that postulated for finding a weak spot said loudly.
- Mein Kaiser - he added more officially.
- What if it's false news? - the one calling for deeper preparation asked.
- Do we even have enough forces to extend the frontline so much? - he added.
- We have been on the offensive almost since the start of the war. I'm sure we can pull this off, even if we will have to switch to more defensive approach after that - Germany responded.
- No further questions? Good, I'll call the French forces. Go back to your duties, and call the equipment management to tell them we need more armored trains - the Empire left the building and headed back to the communication room.
France's reaction to his plan was more or less what he expected.
- You want me to WHAT!? - she never was good at taking orders, Germany thought as she continued her monologue.
- Our losses from constantly attacking keep growing, we start to run low on spare parts for tanks, not to mention crews, air superiority is questionable at best and you want me to take all remaining armored forces to one specific location that doesn't hold any strategic value other than leading to another region that SUPPOSEDLY prefers my rule over my brother's? Insane as every German. I can't believe we two allowed ourselves to get drawn into this mess between you and Spain! - after few groans of frustration, France was officialy done with her part.
- Fra - Germany started - that could be their breaking point. If we manage to gain control ovet the entire northern coast, we will lift a huge weight from navy's shoulders, and gain access to large, undefended area. We will have fascists' backs. The war here could be over soon. Don't you want your people reunited? - he tried to convince her. After some silence, she finally responded
- Fine. But if it is a lie and I will encounter a battle ready force fully equipped with anti-armor weapons then I'm immediately pulling back. Is it clear? -
- Clear as the summer sky. End communication. - the Empire smiled, satisfied. If this goes well, then the aid will come to the east and victory will be more real than ever since the war started.

~~~

Kingdom of France was pissed off.
It was already hard to be treated as a minor power, but she could deal with that, she was missing half of her territory after all. But as the war went on, Germany's suggestions were more and more like orders. Attack here. This place isn't worth fighting for. Send more troops there. She could do things like this herself, and Germany should know the difference between allied cooperation and bossing smaller militaries around!
She groaned again. Why does everything have to be so hard? She didn't expect a victory until next year, but current progress made her assume that it won't be over until late 2045. Until then, the ties could change to Nationalist's advantage, and she would end the same their mother and grandmother did - under the blade of guillotine.
White-gold country pushed the thought away. Germany's reasoning to attack was correct, even if that land didn't hold any rescources or industry, control in there would mean easier supply for the navy and more potential recruits to take place of the fallen. She walked to the walkie-talkie lying on the nearby table, picked it up and selected one of the channels.
- General Armand, prepare your forces. I've got a tip on where our next target is - every thought must result in action. And France knew what action to take.