i { the hard deck }

I WALKED INTO THE HARD DECK WITH MY NAVAL UNIFORM ON. the beige looked light against my tan skin. "june!" i hear a familiar voice say. "tasha!" i say, seeing a familiar dark haired girl. i pulled her into a quick hug.

"how are you! how long has it been? few years?" i said, a smile tugging at my lips. she laughed and nodded. we walked over towards the pool table. "four years to be exact." phoenix said.

"seeing anyone recently?" phoenix joked. i hit her shoulder playfully. "you know i haven't." i said.

"well, isn't it hawk. long time no see huh?" a dirty blonde said. "well, long time no see bagman." i smiled. "hangman." he corrected with a smile. i shook his hand with a smile and patted his back.

"FANBOY!" i yelled, giving him a hug. he wrapped his arms around me. "hey how you doing june?" he said. i smiled pulling away from him. "i'm good, too good." i say, a smirk tugging and my lips. "hey payback, coyote." i said, giving them a slight wave.

"i need to go say hello to someone.." i told the group. they all nodded. i walked over to the bar and looked at penny.

"hey, june! how are ya?" she asked, a smile on her face.

"things are good, i've been called back to top gun for a mission." i stated, a smile making its way to my face. she looks at me then smiles. "you and flying, you'll never get tired of it will you?" she asked. i shook my head.

"how are you doing penny?" i asked. she had known my dad for a while. i had met her here and there but i considered her a family member.

"i'm doing fine. the rush hour is coming so i have to get ready." she said, clearly rushed but didn't want to be rude.

"oh, please. don't think you have to make me happy instead of work! but may i get a beer please?" i said. "coming right up!" she said.

i sat at the bar and penny gave me my beer glass. i sipped it carefully and i let my train of thought leave me.

i felt an arm around my shoulder and looked to my side. "hey kiddo." he smiled. "dad!" i said, wrapping my arms around him.

"what are you doing here?" i asked mav. he looked at me and sighed. "i was called to top gun to teach, and you are my student." he said, a smile on his face. my eyes widened and my jaw dropped.

"but that's something for you to know and everyone to find out." mav said, taking a seat at the bar. i waved and headed back over.

"how long have you been here?" payback called out. everyone looked at who he was talking to. "oh, i've been here the whole time." he stated, his glasses sat on the bridge of his nose and he broke out into a crooked smile.

"what do they call you?"

"bob."

"no no,  your call sign."

"bob..."

"ok."

"wait, your robert floyd, your my new back seater?" phoenix said. again, that crooked smile, "looks like it."

a familiar man walked into the bar with a white undershirt and a hawaiian shirt over top. "what do we have here?" hangman spoke. "bradshaw i live and breathe."

"you look good hangman." rooster said, his raspy voice made me smile. "i am good rooster. i'm very good." hangman said.

"this must be one hell of a mission..." coyote says. "yeah, we are the best of the best, who the hell are they gonna get to teach us?" phoenix said, damn i missed her sass.

a bell was rung and the bar roared with screams. a few horse whistles were heard as well. i turned and saw my dad smiling sheepishly at penny.

"hey june." a familiar raspy voice said. i froze momentarily then turned and faced him. "long time no see rooster." i said.

"rooster? no bradley? eesh, what happened to you?" he said, joking but the words stung more than they should've.

"could say the same about you." i was trying to pull his wires. and it worked.

"i missed you junebug." he whispered. he pulled me into a hug which i gladly accepted. i leaned my ear against his chest for a moment.

"who wants to play?" hang man held up a pool stick. "i'm in." i said, pulling away from rooster. "it's 9-ball hawk," hangman said. "i'm putting ten bucks." i said, cutting him off.

he placed a 20 down on the counter. "game on seresin." i said. he broke and he got the one ball in. it continued like that for a while until i won. "HAH SUCK ON THAT SERESIN" i screamed grabbing the money.

the bell was rung again and payback, hangman and fanboy walked over to my dad and picked him up and walked him over to the front door.

the jukebox cut out then the sound of piano was heard. the lovey notes calmed me.

"you shake my nerves and you rattle my brain"

rooster. i knew that raspy voice anywhere. i picked up my beer and walked over to the piano.

"too much love drives a man insane"

i stood by rooster singing along to the lyrics.

"you broke my will"

"but what a thrill"

"goodness. gracious. great balls of fire!" the bar sang or screamed on what you wanted to call it.

"i laughed at love cause i thought it was funny"

"but you came along and moved me honey."

"i changed my mind this love is fine"

"goodness gracious great balls of fire!"

"kiss me baby" he said, looking into my eyes, winking.

"oooh that feels good baby"

"hold me baby"

"i want to love you like a lover should" he looked at me, his eyes were covered by his sunglasses.

"you're fine, you're so kind"

"imma tell the world that your mine mine mine mine"

"i chew my nails and a twiddle my thumbs."

"i getting nervous but it sure is fun"

"come on baby, you're driving me crazy"

"goodness gracious great balls of fire!"

"kiss me baby." the damn eye contact...

"ooooh that feels good."

"hold me baby"

"i wanna love you like a lover should"

"you're fine, you're so kind."

"imma tell the world that youre mine mine mine mine!"

"i chew my nails and i twiddle my thumbs."

"i'm getting nervous but is sure is fun."

"come one baby, you're driving me crazy."

"goodness gracious great balls of fire!"

——————————————-

first update!
let me know what y'all think!