ii { catching up }

"DAMN ROOST, I HAVENT HEARD YOH PLAY THAT IN A WHILE." i laughed. rooster and i were sitting at the bar talking to each other, glasses of beer in our hands.

"yeah, been a while." he said, a deep chuckle leaving his throat. he took a sip of his beer then set it down. "have you seen your dad yet?" he asked. i nodded.

"yeah i saw him earlier today, why?" i asked, the look on rooster's face was cold, not like the warm rooster that was playing the piano. my hands started to sweat, why the hell am i so nervous.

"no reason, how've you been hawk, seen any guys recently?" rooster said, him using my callsign made me flinch. i place my glass down and lean back into the bar stool.

"well, for starters, no i am not seeing anyone," i say. rooster laughs. "my dad is doing okay. being a pilot is working out well, other than that everything is good. everything's going good. i went to go see iceman the other day..." rooster looks to my eyes, his expression softening almost immediately.

"oh june. i'm sorry. what happened?" he asked. i looked at my folded hands. "the cancer is back bradley, sarah told me the other day, i went over there once i came back." i said, my voice faltered.

rooster grabbed my hands, causing me to look him in the eyes. "look at me, he'll be ok. i promise." he looked so sincere. he looked so much like goose. "bradley, you look so much like goose..." i said. he smiled.

"i get that a lot, from the people who knew him." he said, his voice soft. i sighed. "sorry for bringing it up. anyways, how's the good ole bradley bradshaw." i said, trying to lighten the mood.

"i'm good actually, i've tried to work on leaving the book restrictions and exceed beyond that. it's hard. might have to learn how to do it for the mission. all he people here are badass." he said, his eyes looked softer, more happy than earlier. you got that right bradley," i said, laughing. "oh not you hawk!" he laughed.

"penny," a familiar voice said behind me, "can i get a round of beers for my friends and i over there?" hangman. "on it seresin." she said.

i looked outside the window, noticing it was getting dark. "hey, i need to go, i need to walk ollie by dark. he's afraid of the dark." i said. bradley nodded. "want me to take you back to your house? you've had more drinks than me." he asked, worried about me crashing.

"sure bradley, i walked here so why not." i said. his eyes widened. "you...walked? yeah hell no. i'm not letting you walk home alone. no matter what. there's creeps out there june." he said, he sounded like my mother.

"yeah yeah let's go." i said, shoving his shoulder to get him quiet. we walked out of the hard deck, the air cooler than inside. i saw a familiar blue truck flash their lights.

"come on june," he said, opening the door. "m'lady." he said in a british accent. i smiled at him, "thank you good sir." mocking his accent.

rooster helped me into the truck and he hopped in the drivers seat. he and i sat in silence most of the way except when i told him where to turn.

"this is it." i said. he looks at me, wide eyes. "i don't live too far from here, you know that right?" he said. happiness filled his voice. i shook my head, "cant seem to get rid of me can you, bradley?"

"absolutely not." he smiled, turning the car key and got out of the car. my door opened, "m'lady." he said, a country accent taking over. i giggled. i walked up towards the front door.

"junebug.." i turned around. "i'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" i giggled and looked at him in the eyes. my arms at my sides.

"yes you'll see me tomorrow bradley." i laughed. the moonlight didn't give much light but damn did rooster look good. bradley came up to me and hugged me.

"see you tomorrow junebug." rooster said.

"see you tomorrow bradley, goodnight."

"goodnight"

i opened the door to the house and shut the door. i leaned up against the shut door and sighed. "ollie?" i called.

the brown australian shepherd came from down the stairs and his eyes were happy. he ran up and jumped on me.

"bradley's back ollie." i said to him. he seemed to understand. he sat down then looked at me intently.  only seconds later he stuck his tongue out and looked like he smiled.

"yes i know, come on, let's go outside." he jumped then ran in a circle. i grabbed his leash then walked outside with him.

~ time skip to the next morning ~

i grabbed my flight suit and a white tank top to put under. i grabbed my sunglasses and pulled my hair up into a tight bun. i grabbed the car keys and drive to base.

once i got there, i sat in my seat and sat down. everyone started flooding into the room and sat in their seats.

"attention on deck!" cyclone shouted once everyone was in the room. everyone stood listening to the admiral.

(i do not remember word for word on what warlock says so i'm going to improvise)

"you have all been called here for a mission. your captain has graduated from top gun, and has his own personal experience on missions. pete mitchell, call sign: 'maverick'. " warlock said. maverick walked between the two columns and you could hear everyone's reactions.

"good morning. i am sure you all know this book in and out." he said, raising the f-18 book.

"damn right." payback called out.

"damn straight." hangman said.

i didn't say anything but just watched my dad intently.

he held his arm over the trash can next to the podium. "well so does your enemy." he said, his voice dropping an octave. "the f-18's have limits and so do you. i intend to find those limits and push you to exceed those limits."

today is gonna be fun.

.