rule twelve: honesty is the best policy

~~~~

Dedicated to chi_somm for leaving one of the most flattering comments I've ever received. Y'all are so awesome, man.

~~~~

Soundtrack:

Let Her Go by Passenger - the talk between Candice and Will

Let It Go by James Bay (I swear I didn't mean for there to be similar song titles) - when Chance and Candice talk

The next morning I woke up with a throbbing headache, sore limbs and a terrible taste in my mouth. Coupled with the vivid memories of everything that had happened last night and the fact I seemed to be alone in the apartment, it was safe to say it was already not a good morning-and it was barely past eight.

I slowly sat up and rubbed my forehead, grimacing as the world spun and my limbs turned to jelly. I took a few deep breaths and slipped out of bed, noting the fact that the bed next to me was empty and cold and neatly made, and the whole apartment was silent. It was strange for Ava to be awake and gone at such an early hour, and even stranger for Jamie not to be spread out on the couch watching childish cartoons, as was the norm. It gave the apartment an empty, lonely feeling.

I padded to the dresser and grimaced at my reflection, which boasted dark bluish bags under my eyes and frizzy hair. I looked pale and gaunt, the terrible effects of a night with too much vodka. I was surprised I wasn't throwing up at this point, but I'd probably done enough of it last night to merit there no longer being any traces of alcohol in my system. I grabbed my hair brush and combed through the blonde tangles, before making my way to the bathroom.

After doing my business and brushing my teeth to rid my mouth of the awful taste, I made my way into the lounge room, grateful for the slightly frigid air that was currently keeping me conscious. I groaned as a bird tweeted outside, feeling like my head was being pounded into by a jackhammer.

"Crazy night, I take it," someone said ruefully, and I glanced over to see Will flicking through a food magazine, feet propped up on the coffee table.

I grimaced once again, having been caught red-handed. It was embarrassing enough, being reduced to this state, but having your significant other be there to witness your downfall was definitely not helping the situation. "Things may have gotten slightly out of control."

"There's a glass of water and a couple painkillers on the counter," he told me, picking up his magazine with an amused smile. "Shower, freshen up, and then maybe I might get to kiss my bride-to-be without fearing she'll throw up on me."

I felt awed by his sweet words, but it was just the person Will was. He never got angry, and this was one of the reasons I absolutely adored him. No matter what state I was in, he was always there for me. He helped me when I needed it, made me feel better, and always seemed prepared and in control for any situation that may arise.

Which might be why telling him of his father's adultery was going to be one of the hardest things I'd ever done in my life.

I walked over and kissed him on the top of his head, ruffling his curls affectionately. "Sounds like a plan," I told him, walking over to the counter and quickly downing the painkillers and the glass of water that did wonders for my parched throat.