rule fifteen: never give up

Soundtrack:

Breathe Again by Sara Bareilles - the conversation with Will and Candice

Watchmen, What Is Left Of The Night? by GREYCOATS - the conversation between Will, Candi, Ava, Jamie and Chance

He pulled back, frowning as he watched my face carefully. "No, I'm Lachlan. Remember?"

                  I pushed him back and struggled to my feet. "No. I mean Will. He's here."

                  Lachlan swore and spun around to face Will, whose blue eyes were large and so incredibly heartbroken it took my breath away. He wore the same green sweater he'd left in, and his hair was tousled and wet from rain.

                  Remorse was quickly replaced with anger, and he stormed over to us. He grabbed Lachlan's collar and punched him hard in the jaw, sending Lachlan reeling off the stool and crashing onto the ground.

                  "You son of a bitch!" Will yelled. "You just couldn't wait until you thought I was out of the picture to make your move on her, could you?"

                  "It's not like that!" I told him. "Will!"

                  "She came to me because you let her down," Lochie replied, struggling to his feet. He swiped the back of his hand across his mouth where blood was leaching out of a cut on his lip. He shook his head at the bartender who had stood to attention. "I didn't force her here, Will. You're the one who ruined things."

                  "No, but I bet you couldn't wait to have your chance, could you?" Will said. "You've always wanted everything I've ever had. Even if that includes my fiancée."

                  "Because she deserves better than you," Lachlan replied. "I mean, really, Will? I know you like the fancy cars, but how could you choose the money over your own fiancée?"

                  "I didn't," he ground out through clenched teeth. "And I came here to explain that. But it looks like you two are a little busy. I guess I'll leave you to it, then."

                  Will pivoted on his heel and stormed out. I turned to Lachlan and assessed his injuries worriedly. "Are you okay?" I asked.

                  "I just need some ice and I'll be fine," he replied, and the bartender immediately started loaded some ice cubes into a dishtowel.

                  "I have to go," I told him, glancing out at the door where Will had left.

He nodded. "Go."

                  I turned around and started for the door, slipping through warm, gyrating bodies and girls in tiny lace bodices. The music was loud and pounding, and I emerged into the cold air of the alleyway, which was like a completely different world to the speakeasy.

                  He was leaning against the brick wall, his forearms resting on the bricks and his head resting against his clasped hands. His eyes were closed, and his head was bowed low.

                  "Will," I said quietly, toying with the hem of my shirt.

                  He pulled back and turned to me, and his voice was low and emotionless when he spoke. "I didn't choose the money over you," he said quietly. "I could never."