rule twenty-one: tell the truth, even if it hurts like hell

Soundtrack:

Between Us by Peter Bradley Adams – the beginning and Will's speech

I Should Go by Levi Kreis - when Chance and Candi talk

***

"You know, I never did understand the reasoning behind a rehearsal dinner," Ava informed us as walked through the doors of the respectable dining hall. "I mean, we all know how to eat dinner, right? I didn't realize it required practicing."

"Hey, you're the one who insisted upon doing it," I responded, laughing.

She shrugged, happily agreeing. "I want the whole she-bang. We are going to have this traditional wedding even if it kills me."

The dining hall was decorated beautiful. Ivory linen lined the tables, and atop it sat named place cards, crystal flutes and glittering cutlery. Lit candles joined sconces on the walls, and the place had a warm and romantic atmosphere.

"Wow," I whispered. Ava had wanted to keep everything a surprise for me, and I was extremely impressed with her taste. I turned to her and pulled her into a big hug. "Ave, this is amazing. Thank you!"

"When are you going to trust me?" she replied. "I have taste!"

I felt a twist of nervousness in my stomach. The wedding was a mere two days away, and now that all the complicated things had been sorted out, it was all down to the actual event going off without a hitch. I'd had the final wedding dress alterations, made a few calls to make sure the caterers and the celebrant was ready. I never thought I'd get married in a church—I wasn't really religious by nature—but since Will had been raised in a religious family I had agreed to it for him. However we weren't having a priest or monsignor. Just a nice celebrant in a more loose church. Who said marriage wasn't about compromise?

Will, who had arrived earlier than us, walked over to us from across the room. He put his hands on my hips and leaned down, kissing me sweetly on the lips. I was powerless to his touch, and immediately surrendered happily into his arms.

"All right, you two," someone said, and we pulled back to see Shae entering the dining hall with a striped party bag in her hand. "For the future bride and groom."

She held out the bag, and I took it gratefully, peeking inside to find a bottle of pinot noir inside. I hugged her. "Thank you, Shae."

Léon shook Will's hand and kissed me on the cheek, admiring me. "You look beautiful, Candi," he told me, and if I hadn't been blissfully taken, I would've fawned over the French accent.

"Thanks," I replied, running a hand down my navy floor-length dress.

More people began to arrive, and the next hour was filled with greeting everyone from our coworkers to Will's parents. We ordered drinks for them and enjoyed hors d'oeuvres, laughing over conversations of wild honeymoons and marital bliss. Finally we sat down for dinner, and the room was a hum of laughter and conversation. It was a happy atmosphere, and I smiled and leaned into Will as the steaks and chicken dishes were served up.

"This is nice," I whispered, and he squeezed my knee contentedly.

"So, you're marking this off as a success?"

I pecked his cheek. "If our wedding is half as good at this, I'll be the happiest woman in the world."

He leaned back and looked at me, acting offended. "Are you saying you're not already the happiest girl in the world?"