rule twenty-four: moving on means letting go

~~~

Please read Author's Note at end. Super important!

~~~

Soundtrack:

Eet by Regina Spektor – the beginning

Turning Page by Sleeping At Last – simply, Chance

I'll Be by Edwin McCain – the wedding

MSK by Yellowcard – end of the chapter

"Damn! Jesus, Ave, go easy on me," I muttered, as Ava continued doing up the back of my wedding dress.

"Oh, don't be such a baby!" she replied. "Ha! Get it. Baby?"

"You're funny," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Also, we are in a church. So curb the language!" Ava said faux-menacingly.

I rolled my eyes. "I know we opted out of the corset for the baby's health, but that sure feels tight enough to belong in the Victorian era."

"Remember what the woman said?" Ava replied, and pulled the strings tighter once again as she continued to do it up with nifty fingers far more craftier than mine.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes. It's a maternity fabric orthopedically proven to do no harm for the baby while having corset-like effect. I know. But that doesn't mean your man hands aren't hurting!"

"Excuse me, but my hands are extremely feminine," Ava replied, laughing and tying elaborate knots at the end of the string. I was just glad that meant to the torture was nearly over.

I glanced up at the clock, which told me I was due out in a mere twenty minutes. Right now we were preparing in one of the rooms inside the church. Ava looked beautiful, having already stepped into her gown. She had on light makeup that made her look fresh and natural. One side of her hair was pinned back with a light pink flower, and the rest fell in light waves that framed her glowing face. She wore a beautiful satin dress that matched Shae, Pippa and Milla's dresses, and had a matching lily corsage. It was made of a soft baby pink, and billowed to the ankles to reveal strappy silver shoes.

Pippa and Milla had already left to prepare, and I was eager to get out there, too. I hadn't seen Will in over eighteen hours, and being away from your fiancé that long does things to a person. I was eager to get down that aisle, say my vows and start the rest of my life.

"All done," Ava said happily, dusting off her hands. She looked over my shoulder at me in the mirror, and smiled softly. "You look beautiful, Candi."

"Aw, don't go getting all soft on me now," I joked, smoothing my hands down the ivory bodice.

"I still don't think white was the right choice given your current predicament, but you pull it off."

I socked her in the arm in retort, and she laughed. "I'm kidding. Now, I have to go quickly check the flower arrangements, grab Pip and Milla and make sure they're ready for you. You stay here and get ready, okay?"

I nodded. "Okay."

"See you out there?"

I smiled. "Always."

She started for the doors, her feet clacking heavily on the tile. "Hey, Ave?"

She turned around, one hand poised on the doorway, and cocked a plucked brow. "Yeah?"