The role call¹¹

"The squad commanders will now make their choice" a voice rang out

"Special operations squad commander Ackerman will make his choice first."

"Ackerman?" Mikasa flinched

"Ackerman? Wait, you're related to heichou?" Eren looked at her.
By the look on her face he could tell that this was the first she's heard of it as well

Levi got up on the stage
"As you may know, for the last few days I, among many others, have been observing you cadets. After careful consideration, I will now make my selection."

Everyone was eager.
After all, Levi squad was the best there is.

"Before that happens, I want to clarify that I won't tolerate you brats fucking around. If you're not taking this seriously, leave. I'm not choosing you so you can get your five minutes of glory."

Silence.

"Alright then, I see no reason for prolonging this shit any longer."

Everyone was on the edge of their seats

"Mikasa Ackerman. You've demonstrated great intelligence and skill. You do everything with great precision."

Clapping rang out.
"You've earned it!" Armin hugged her
"Yeah" Eren said,unenthusiastic

As happy as Armin was for her, he knew this meant splitting up. If only by some miracle he got in as well..

"Armin Arlert. Although your athletic skills suck, you've shown great intelligence and have proven yourself capable as a leader."

Armin's face lit up
He was as red as a bell pepper
He couldn't be happier

"Jean Kirstein. Although you're an arrogant bastard you've proved capable. I guess you didn't get a big head for no reason."

Jean grinned widely, looking around
Half of the people we're laughing at Levi's comments and the other half we're standing there, petrified.
"Way to go, Jean!" Sasha chimed in
"I'll catch up to you, bastard!" Connie playfully hit him on the shoulder.
Jean laughed, moving up to where the selected contestants were standing

"Good work Mikasa, I knew you'd get in!", Jean did a thumbs up pose,"oh and you two Armin. You've worked hard."

Just as Armin was about to congratulate him back, Levi turned around giving him a death stare.
They all took it as a queue to be quiet.

"Sasha Blouse," Levi continued unbothered, "you're a real gluttonous fiend. But your quick thinking and hunting skills will benefit us."

Levi kept giving backhanded comments along with seemingly genuine compliments.
It was that moment that the now Levi Squad understood more about him.

He wasn't just cruel and vulgar.
He was a man that speaks his mind whether you want to hear it or not.

The proceedings continued.
Armin, Mikasa, Jean, Sasha, Connie and Krista were all chosen along with Eren who was already in the squad, now under high supervision.

The other section commanders made their choices as well.
One person was missing.
Section commander Hange Zoe.

Levi frowned slightly.
This procedure would be slightly less tedious if Hange was present.
They always lit up the room, turning every boring situation into their own circus.

"Hange, please take this seriously!" Never did the trick

They were naturally childlike, disliking seriousness and finding a way to entertain themselves in every situation. They were the type of person everyone describes as eccentric.