The Grants

It was a normal day at the Grant household. Ellie was making breakfast as Alan sat feeding the youngest member of his family.

"So what time are you leaving?" Ellie handed Alan his coffee.

"Couple of hours, have you told her yet?" Alan smiled

"No, I figured you would want to tell her." Ellie laughed.

Rose had been bending her parents ear about going to her fathers dig site. Now that she turned 11 today, Alan had planned to take her for the weekend and show her what it was like as a surprise birthday gift.

"True, but I figured I might surprise her by taking her to my lecture and then drive to the site instead of home" Alan smiled wickedly as he gave Amelia some more banana slices.

"You're so mean, just put the girl out of her misery already and tell her already." Ellie laughed as she sat down at the table.

"I'm sure...." Alan smiled as the thunder of feet started to come down the stairs.

"Morning!!" Rose smiled at her parents while she grabbed some cereal for herself and her brother Jack.

When Rose was born Alan always remained firm that one baby was enough and he wasn't willing to have anymore, until the accident at the park. That weekend changed his whole perspective on things and he knew that having one more probably wasn't a bad idea.

With that then came their son Jack who was now 5 years old. Alan was over the moon on how lucky he and Ellie were to have a girl and now a boy, one of each, he smiled at Ellie after Jack was born he felt so lucky to have Ellie in his life, he proposed to her that same day. They married just after Jack's first birthday. They both agreed they were done having anymore, that was until a fatal anniversary weekend resulted in their now 2 year old daughter Ameila.

He hoped that he and Ellie were done having children but was prepared for anything at this point. He loved being a dad and a husband, something he never would have been ok with before he met Ellie. He smiled at his family all around the table. Ellie was the glue that held them together and he adored her. Funny, after 15 years together, she was still in love with him, he promised her after the island he would show her how much he loved everyday, he could always count on her for everything and in the past he acknowledged, he did take her for granted alot, so he always tries to make a solid effort for her especially.

"Earth to dad" Rose laughed as her dad came out of his daze.

"Yes sweetie?" Alan smiled at his daughter.

"You know today is a very special day right?" Rose smiled as she raised her eyebrows at him.

"Oh god? Darling I'm so sorry. What did I forget? First date? No no? First kiss?" Alan turned to Ellie giving her a kiss.

Ellie laughed and shook her head at him.

"DAD! Stop kidding around! You know today is my birthday!" Rose crossed her arms and scowled at her father.

"Oh yes, now I remember. Happy Birthday sweetheart." Alan laughed

Ellie smiled at Alan. She got up from the table to retrieve her daughter's gifts.

"And would you look at this? Presents!" Ellie said as she hugged Rose.

"Thanks mum" Rose beamed at the bag of gifts in front of her.

"Hapi bwirthday Rosie" Jack said as he gave his sister a hug.

Jack was the image of his dad. Alan was so proud of his son, he was dinosaur mad just like Rose and himself. Jack had the same light brown hair and blue eyes as Alan. Though Alan would always say Jack's sense of humour was far better than his.