The BirdCage

As the group walked down the stairwell they came upon various walkways.

The walkways were attached to the cliff side and led down to the river flowing through.

Alan led the group down the walkway trying to get to the bottom, he saw a catwalk bridge covered in fog to his left and decided to carry on down forward going down the stairs. As he placed his foot on the stair the whole stairwell gave way.

"Dad!" Rose yelled.

Paul grabbed Alan before he could fall.

"You ok?" Paul asked.

Alan nodded and looked at Rose, He smiled to reassure her he was alright. They all turned back the way they came. Alan looked at the only other way, the fog covered bridge. As they walked on it the bridge shook.

"Let's do this one at a time ok?" Alan said to them.

The group nodded. Alan was the first to cross the bridge. Once he got to the other side he checked the area was safe before calling,

"Ok Rose come over to me,"

Rose took a deep breath. She held her arms out touching the railings and walked quickly across to her father.

"Dad?" Rose whispered

"I'm here," Alan said to her as he walked around the platform making sure it was safe.

"Ok next one," Alan shouted again.

Amanda was next over the bridge.

"Ok Eric come on honey,"

Alan walked to the railing. He picked off what looked like dried white mud. He examined it and looked up as the fog began to slowly clear. His face went white as he looked at Rose and Amanda.

"Oh my god," Alan whispered

"What dad?" Rose looked at her father confused and worried.

"It's a birdcage" Alan looked at them both not sure what to do.

"For what?" Amanda asked.

Before Alan could answer Eric screamed.

"Eric!" Amanda shouted as she ran to Eric.

"Help!" Eric screamed as a Pteranodon flew over him and grabbed him in his claws.

Everyone ran along the walkways trying to find a way to reach Eric as he was carried off and dumped into the Pteranodons nest. Billy stood watching, he wanted to help. Alan spotted Billy climbing on a ledge.

"Billy, Stop!"

Billy didn't listen; he turned to Alan and saw Rose behind him.

"I'm sorry to you both," Billy jumped off the ledge and pulled out the Parasail they found the previous day.

"Billy NO!" Alan shouted as he tried to grab him.

Alan panicked, as angry as he was with Billy he didn't want any harm to come to him. He grabbed Rose and ran along the walkway to catch up Amanda and Paul. As they ran they came to stop. The rest of the walkway was missing.

Suddenly another Pteranodon began to attack them. It landed above them and fell through onto the walkway. Stalking its prey, the dinosaur walked forward towards them. Alan pushed everyone behind him. He kicked the dinosaur to try and prevent it from attacking them. The weight of the group and the dinosaur was too much for the walkway and it fell from the cliff side and the group tumbled into the river below.

Billy was flying through the air towards Eric.

"Eric! Jump to me! Now!" Billy shouted as he glided towards Eric.

Eric jumped and grabbed Billy. He clung tightly around Billy's waist.

"Billy!" Eric shouted as a flock of Pteranodons began to attack the Parasail.

"Eric let go!" Billy told Eric.

Eric let go and fell into the river. As he surfaced he saw Billy swing into a cliff side and become stuck. The Pteranodons started to circle Billy. Eric swam to his parents.

"Amanda, take the children out of here and meet us on the boat!" Alan said, looking at Rose.

"Ok, come on now run," Amanda took both Eric and Rose to the exit gate.

Alan and Paul watched as Billy finally freed himself and fell into the river.

"Hang on Billy!" Alan shouted as he drove into the river to help him.

Paul followed only to hold Alan back. The pair watched helplessly as Billy was swept downriver being killed by the flock of Pteranodons. They froze as a lone Pteranodon turned its head to them. They looked at each other and ran for the exit gate.

Amanda, Eric and Rose made it out of the gate. Amanda went to shut the gate, she made the mistake of not locking it behind her. As she followed the children onto the boat she saw Alan and Paul surface without Billy. Rose looked at her father with tears in her eyes as she realised what happened.

Alan could say nothing. He was riddled with guilt after what he said to Billy. He hugged Rose in an attempt to comfort her.

"Why don't you take your dad and rest on the bench? Me and Paul can start the engine," Amanda smiled at Rose and motioned her to the bench at the front of the boat.

"We got plenty of gasoline, we just need to find our way to the coast and then create a signal something you could see from the sky, a fire maybe?" Paul turned to Amanda.

Amanda smiled at Paul. She forgot how organised he could be. She was amazed how calm he was and how he was taking charge. It reminded her of the good times in their marriage before things fell apart.

Alan and Rose were sitting on the bench.

"I'm dreading seeing your mum," Alan managed a smile.

"I'm not sure what is going to be worse? Her being mad at you. Or her finding out the Kirbys had lied to us about the money and their son," Rose smiled up at her dad.

"Well whatever happens I'm in the dog house for at least a month," Alan raised his eyebrows and shook his head.

"Dad?" Rose looked up at him.

"Yeah?" He looked down, she wasn't smiling now.

"Don't blame yourself for Billy. He was really brave.," Rose hugged her dad. She knew he felt awful after discovering Billy stole raptor eggs.

Before Alan could answer Eric appeared.

"Dr. Grant?" Eric said

"Hey Eric, I told you to call me Alan, You ok?" Alan moved over and motioned for Eric to sit.

"I'm sorry about Billy," Eric said looking at his feet.

Alan shook his head, he still felt awful.

"Yeah, You know the last thing I said to him? I said he was no better then the people that built this place, which wasn't true. Billy was just young, you see I have this theory, there are two kinds of boys, those who want to be astronomers and those who want to be Astronauts. Now the astronomer or the palaeontologist, get to study these things from a world of complete safety but...."

"But then he never gets to go into space," Eric cut Alan off.

"Yeah, you see that's all that Billy wanted," Alan held his daughter close.

Sunlight suddenly hit them.

"Dad look," Rose said, pointing to herds of different herbivores grazing and drinking from the river.

"They are beautiful," Rose said, smiling at her dad.

"You know something Alan? Billy was right," Eric said looking back at Alan then towards the herds.

Alan smiled and thought of Billy, he hoped that wherever Billy was he knew that he was sorry for everything he said.