The Meeting

That evening there was a knock on the trailer door.

"Open," Alan shouted.

In walked Billy.

"You ready?" Billy looked toward Alan and Rose.

"Yeah come on kiddo." Alan said, putting his arm around Rose's shoulder, and walked to the car.

Once they arrived at the restaurant. Alan saw Paul Kirby and he assumed Paul's wife sat in a booth. Paul smiled and got up from his seat.

"Hi again, Dr. Grant, I'm pleased you could all come. This is my wife Amanda." Paul said motining towards his wife.

"Hello Mrs. Kirby, this is Billy, one of my top students and my daughter Rose." Alan said and he let Rose slide into the booth first.

Amanda was a very thin lady with short blonde hair. She was wearing a white blouse and black trousers. Rose noted she seemed a little off but didn't think much of it. Paul on the other hand was in a suit. He had dark brown hair and a moustache across his upper lip.

A waitress came over to take their drink orders.

"Two beers and a coke please." Alan told the waitress before she turned to the Kirbys.

"Well I'm just going to get straight to the point. Amanda and I, well, we just love the outdoors. Heck we've been on pretty much any adventure tour they can come up with: Galapagos, K2, the Nile..." Paul went on before Amanda cut him off.

"We even have two seats reserved aboard the first commercial moon flight."

Alan was taken aback. He got the impression these people like to throw their money around.

Rose sat quietly and listened. She watched her fathers face. He seemed really uncomfortable with these people.

"Now, for our wedding anniversary this year we wanted to do something really special, something..." Paul explained and then turned to Amanda, he placed his hand on his wife's.

"Once-in-a-lifetime." Amanda smiled as she looked at Paul, then back to Alan.

"We've arranged for a private aeroplane to take us flying over Isla Sorna. And we want you to be our guide." Paul said, smiling at Alan.

Rose choked on her drink and started coughing. Alan rubbed her back. He was stunned by what he just heard as well.

"That's impossible, I'm sorry no. And you wouldn't be able to fly low enough to see anything of any interest." Alan said he was trying to be polite at this point.

"Well you see through my dealings with business exports etc. I've made a lot of friends in high places, for instance, the Costa Rican government. And they have given us permission to fly low."

"How low?" Billy interjected

"I'm no aviation expert, but from what I gather as low as we like." Paul said smiling.

"That's hard to believe. Look if that's what you want to do fine, I can recommend a few really highly qualified guides..." Alan said, trying to reason with this couple.

"No, no, you're the best. You've seen these animals in the flesh, there isn't anyone who would come close to you." Paul cut Alan off.

"Please Dr. Grant, you have no idea how much it would mean to us if you come along. It would make all the difference, and by all means bring your daughter and your student too." Amanda smiled at Rose and Billy.

"And of course we would love to make a sizable contribution to work here." Paul pulled out a check book.

"Now I can write all kinds of numbers on this check Dr. Grant, tell me what's it going to take?" Paul said glaring at Alan with a smile.