The Unexpected Visitor

Alan parked the car on the campus.

"Right let's get this over with" Alan said as he left the car.

"Dad dont worry you got this, you're the best in your field." Rose said, trying to reassure her dad.

Alan smiled. But he was nervous. He needed funding and since InGen created the dinosaurs, funding for the dig site was really hard to come by.

Inside the lecture hall Rose took a seat in the front row.

"Right, I'm going backstage to prepare before people start arriving. You stay here out of mischief." Alan laughed as he messed Rose's hair up.

"Hey. Off!" Rose swatted her dad's hands away.

"Ok, be back in a minute." Alan walked backstage to meet the Dean introducing his speech.

"Thank you for coming, Dr. Grant, we are very pleased to have you." The Dean said, shaking his hand.

"Thank you for having me." Alan said

After 10 minutes the lecture hall was ready for him. Rose looked around at all the students. She was hopeful her dad would secure some more funding for the dig site. Rose watched as her father was delivering his speech and some students and professors quietly left. She couldn't understand it.

Even though she was her father she was memorised when he spoke about his theories. Rose learned a lot from her dad. He had even seen these animals in the flesh, you would think people would be hanging on his every word. Rose smiled as her dad was ending his speech.

"It's through the painstaking study of the Interior chamber in multiple specimens that we can determine this exciting correlation between the larynx and the upper plate. That lets us theorise, theorise, mind you, that the raptor might have been capable of bird- like vocalisations. Which as you can imagine, would be a tremendous breakthrough. I hope this excites you, it certainly excites us, as palaeontologists. It is why we continue to need and ask for your support. Thank you"

Rose began to clap which was followed by the rest of the audience.

"Thank you very much Dr. Grant. Now does anyone have a question?" The Dean asked the audience.

A sudden wave of hands flooded the room. Rose looked around smiling. Alan looked at her and winked quickly.

"That's great, but does anyone have a question that does not relate to Jurassic Park?" Alan looked at the audience and watched some hands lower.

"Or the incident in San Diego. Which I did not witness." Alan looked at Rose and rolled his eyes.

From what was a flood of hands was now just one or two still in the air.

"Yes sir," Alan said, pointing to a student.

"Your theory on raptors is good and all, but isn't all this conjecture kind of moot? I mean, once the U.N. and Costa Rica and everyone decides how to handle the second island, scientists will just go in and look for themselves. I mean, isn't palaeontology itself in danger of extinction?" The student asked

"No, and let me be perfectly clear on this point. Dinosaurs lived 65 million years ago. What's left of them is fossilised in rock; this is where real scientists make real discoveries. Now, what John Hammond and InGen created are theme park monsters. Nothing more, nothing less." Alan said, his voice was really stern.

Rose shook her head. She couldn't believe these students.

Suddenly another student stood up and asked Alan,