Isla Sorna

As the plane took off Alan looked at Rose.

"Don't be too excited, chances are we won't see a thing." Alan smiled at his daughter excitedly looking out of the window.

"Dad! You're always so serious." Rose poked fun at her dad.

Alan smiled; he wasn't about to argue.

Alan turned to talk to Billy, noticing his bag.

"Ok, even with what I pay you, couldn't you afford a better bag?" Alan said, raising an eyebrow at him.

"No way. This one is lucky. Some years ago a buddy and I were parasailing off these cliffs in New Zealand, when this big updraft came and threw me off course. I went straight into the cliff, and it was this strap alone that saved my life. I got hooked on a rock as I was falling." Billy smiled with pride holding his strap up.

"Reverse-Darwinism. Survival of the most idiotic." Alan smiled at him.

"Listen Alan, I want to thank you for bringing me along." Billy said

"Yeah well the bones will still be there when you get back, and truth is you got me into this, I'm telling you I have no intention of me and Rose being alone with these people ok?" Alan smirked at Billy and Billy's face went a little white.

"Ha! Don't worry I won't let that happen." Billy stifled a nervous laugh.

"Right, be nice, young lady. And Billy? Wake me when we get there." Alan laid back in his seat with his hat over his head.

Rose smirked at her Dad's comment and turned to talk to Billy.

"Don't mind him, he's a big softie really," she said, referring to her dad, moving closer to Billy.

"To you maybe, so what's your favourite dinosaur?" Billy felt a little uncomfortable because he didn't really know how to interact with kids.

"Velcioraptors. See look at these. This is a tooth from a raptor, mum and dad got me, and this is what dad gave me, a raptor claw. My dad told me about the time a kid called a raptor a 6ft turkey. He then showed the kid his old claw and scared the kid to death." Rose laughed as she was showing Billy her birthday gifts.

"That's really cool. Your dad is really proud of you. He told me you're going to be the brightest mind in the palaeontology world." Billy replied, handing back the claw to her.

"You bet I am. I'm going to have my own dig site just like my dad and write books about prehistoric botanicals like my mum." Rose said proudly as she boasted about her parents a little.

Amanda overheard the conversation and turned to Rose.

"So how old are you Rose?" Amanda asked.

"Turned 11 yesterday," Rose smiled, showing off the birthday presents again.

"I have a son, he is 12 and he loves Dinosaurs too," Amanda said, there was a sadness in her eyes when she mentioned him.

"Really?! Where is he? I thought he would have loved this?" Rose asked. She was a very inquisitive child, nothing really escaped her.

"He was unable to join us today but maybe we will do this again with him." Amanda said quickly, trying to end the conversation.

"What is his name?" Rose asked, playing with her necklace.

"Eric," Amanda smiled

All of a sudden Alan jumped in his seat. Rose went over to him.

"Dad? Are you ok?" Rose asked, taking her dad's arm.