74

𝙂𝙊𝙊𝘿 𝙂𝙄𝙍𝙇𝙎! 𝙣𝙘𝙩 𝙙𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙢

yuns heart pounded in her chest as she took her sweet time sauntering down the pavement to her front porch

yuns heart pounded in her chest as she took her sweet time sauntering down the pavement to her front porch. she could see silhouettes from the window, even after the sun began to set early into the evening and she knew instantly who the shadows were.

as she got even closer to the front door, the muffled sound of laughter and chatter was overheard from the other side, and yun decided she couldn't procrastinate any longer and clasped her hand over the door knob.

she was almost invisible when she pushed the door open gently, the slightest, quietest creak being heard yet no one blinked an eye or turned their head until she strolled into the living room area. her feet remained planted but nervous hands fidgeted with the hem of her shirt when all five pairs of eyes were on her.

the laughter died down quickly and her mothers smile turned the other way at the sight of her daughter, the girl couldn't keep her eyes in one spot and they eventually fell to the floor in an awkward manner.

"yunyeong," her father finally called, "where've you been?"

it was only approaching five, yet she was gone before she heard the familiar sound of her parents' room creaking open that morning and could be questioned on her whereabouts. it was a guarantee that the day would've been chaotic, she thought she could save herself the time and effort by getting a head start to avoid the arguing.

"danbis," the girl croaked back, suddenly feeling her voice stuck in her throat and forced it out with a squeak.

"danbis? why with them on christmas day?"

the questioned seemed innocent, however the fact that they not once sent a message or attempted to call the entire day was more than enough to show they didn't truly care, just wanted to put on a front in front of jeno and his parents.

she began to try to retreat the question all together, but was cut off when jeno spoke up. "you want a drink, yun? we were just catching up and stuff."

the atmosphere became cold as he reached for the bottle of sparkling cider in front of him and an empty glass he grabbed with his own earlier his arrival. she smiled weakly at his attempt. "i'm fine, i'm just gonna chill upstairs, it was nice to see you, mr and mrs lee."

the long-haired girl turned on her heel to make her way to her room, "yunyeong—" her mother called, she'd only gotten a few steps when she felt a hand grasp her wrist tightly.

head swung back around and eyes locked on the grip over her wrist, one that was all too aggressive. "the least you could've done was spend time with us today, considering you've been nothing but distant since you've been home."

yun snatched her hand away, eyebrows furrowed in disbelief. "you're out of your mind if you think i'm gonna keep going on like you never said all the fucked up shit you said. i really wish i never came home."

the four bodies feet away from the two couldn't make out a word, their voices kept as low as they could yet it only fueled the tension in the room. yun swore she could see a slight clench in her mothers jaw as she spoke, not finding it in her to care because she believed it wasn't even half of what she went through her entire life.

"really? i wish you never came home either, then. you've turned into a nothing but a disappointed," she growled, "remember that next time you need me, yunyeong."

her voice gradually became loud enough for the others to hear, as the adults tried to drown out the cruel things she said, jeno couldn't find it in him to ignore. his panicked eyes glanced at his parents, expecting them to jump in and stick up for the girl but he was let down when they said nothing.

"mom," he whispered in disbelief, nudging her gently, "are you gonna say something...?"

"don't be silly, jeno—"

"no, i mean it, how can you listen to that? and how can she talk to her like that?"

instead of eyes mindlessly gazing at the ground, all heads turned to jenos direction. silence followed after his bold statement, not intending for his voice to be as loud as it was but tried to find it in him to not care.

"excuse me?" yuns mother asked. her eyebrows were creased it utter confusion but her tone displayed shock.

yun peaked past her mothers body to jeno, who looked to be getting ready to speak again as she hastily shook her head and signaled with her hand to say no more. her heart pounded in her chest and she knew he'd regret it later, but it was clear he wasn't exactly thinking reasonably in that moment.

"how can you expect to want her to stay here when you do nothing but treat her like shit?"

"okay," his dad sighed, standing up from his seat. "that's enough, son. you don't talk to her that way."

the boys mouth further fell open, unable to believe that everyone was acting like he was the one in the wrong. "what? and she can? to her own daughter? have you lost your mind?"

it was the gasp coming from his mother after quite the sentence that made yun practically stomp up to her friend, taking hold of the sleeve of his shirt in a take grip and pulling him out of the house completely. she could hear yelling of each of their names that turned muffled when the door closed behind them, but she didn't stop until they were to the gate.

"yun—"

"jeno, i appreciate you, i really do, but don't you ever do that again."

"i just wanted to help—"

"seriously, i've lived with it this long i can deal with it. okay? you do not have to jeopardize your relationship with your own parents for my sake." he'd never seen her with such a genuine look in her eyes, pointing a finger to his chest in a strict manner that made him just nod his head.

"i'm sorry. it was just... listening to that, i mean, it's sick. it's gross."

"it's okay, i know. i know. thank you, but really i mean it. don't do it again." she nodded back, showing she understood completely as she finally released the grip on his shirt in a sigh.

the two stood in silence for a moment in the cold, the only sound being snow crumbling beneath their feet every time one of them shifted. it wasn't until they watched the door open, and the head of yuns mother peaked out when jeno spoke again.

"what do we do?"

the girl ran a hand through her hair in frustration, withholding an eyeroll at the sight of her mother. "you should go."

"we should go, come on," jeno insisted.

"nope, you go."

the taller looked at her blankly and twisted his head slightly in irritation. "stop doing that, yun."

"doing what?"

"stop trying to go through this all alone when you have multiple people who are here to help you. i know you're stubborn as hell but this is really not the time to argue, so let's go." he urged, turning his body the other way, getting ready to make way to his car.

the last thing yun wanted to do was get her friend involved in whatever it was her family was going through, but she couldn't help that jeno was just one of those people who weren't about to let her spend another night in that house.