⁰⁰¹

⎯⎯monsters in the dark!

"Something's coming. Something hungry for blood. A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in the darkness. It is almost here."

Will's eyes widened as he leaned forward towards his soulmate. "What is it?" he asked fearfully.

Dustin perked up, sharing a look with Morgan. "What if it's the Demogorgon?" he croaked hoarsely and Morgan couldn't help but scoot towards the edge of her chair, staring intensely at the board in front of them. Will groaned and heaved back into his seat at the idea, looking pale at the thought. "Oh, Jesus, we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon," Dustin continued.

"It's not the Demogorgon," Lucas denied, waving his hand as if he could make the idea vanish into thin air.

"An army of troglodytes charge from the chamber!" Mike yelled, slamming the character piece onto the board.

Dustin relaxed. "Troglodytes?" he repeated with a relieved sigh.

Lucas laughed and tossed his arm around the back of his chair, grinning so smug it had Morgan rolling her eyes at them. "Told ya," Lucas piped up, snickering as Dustin stuck his tongue out at him.

Will giggled and Morgan nudged her friend, making him laugh harder.

"Wait a minute," Mike interrupted softly and everyone paused, attention drawn back to him. "Do you hear that? That...that sound." His head ducked down. "Boom...boom... BOOM!" He smacked the table with an echoing slap and Lucas jumped, frightened.

"Oh fuck," Morgan laughed. "This is getting good."

Lucas kicked her ankle lightly from under the table and she responded with flipping him off. Will slapped the back of her head as Dustin groaned loudly at his friends' antics.

"That didn't come from the troglodytes," Mike continued, ignoring his friends' bickering. They quieted down again. "No, that...that came from something else." Mike's eyes darted up briefly, making contact with Will as the two shared a quick smile before Mike masked his face back into a blank expression. Morgan fake gagged at their cuteness but couldn't help the fondness in her eyes. He took a deep breath before slamming the character to the board in the middle of the troglodytes. "The Demogorgon!"

They all let out loud groans and Mike fought back a chuckle.

Morgan sighed and crossed her arms, leaning back in her chair. "That does it, we're dead."

Lucas looked like he wanted to deny it but couldn't argue with that logic.

Dustin tossed his hands up. "We're in deep shit!"