₀₀₆

⎯⎯what a promise means!

Morgan blinked awake to the orange of sunlight peeking through the windows at dawn, lighting up the fort outside the blankets. She yawned, going to move before she realized a weight was keeping her still. Her brain scrambled to make sense of what was happening, panic to creep in before she felt a blush rush to her face when she realized what was happening. Eleven was pressed against her back, her arm wrapped around Morgan's waist as their combined hands — they had never let go even in sleep — were pressed against Morgan's stomach. She swallowed as she felt Eleven's breath fanning her neck slightly as she buried her face in Morgan's hair.

Morgan made another move to get up only more carefully this time, but Eleven's hold tightened around her. "No," Eleven murmured, pulling her closer to her.

"You're awake?" Morgan asked dumbly, only to mentally smack herself at how stupid she becomes near this girl.

"Yes," Eleven answered and Morgan pouted at the amusement in her voice.

"How long have you been awake?" she asked, fiddling with Eleven's fingers clasped in her own.

"I don't know," Eleven whispered and Morgan took that as 'I've been awake for hours but didn't want to move.'

Morgan hummed, letting go of her hand, and turning in Eleven's arms to face her. The girl blinked lazily down at her, those deep brown eyes pinning her in place. Eleven brought her hand up, fingers lightly touching between Morgan's brows and tracing down the bridge of her nose and over her lips. Her fingers innocently explored her face, brushing along her jawline and cheek, under her eyes and along her forehead. It was as if Eleven was memorizing every aspect of Morgan's face — from the faint freckles dotted along the bridge of her nose and cheeks, the small white scar that shot through her right eyebrow though you would have to squint to see it, and the abused patches on Morgan's pink lips from Morgan biting them when she's anxious.

Morgan laid silently, eyes falling closed as Eleven gently traced her fingers along her face as if she was something precious to cherish.

Eleven brushed against the scar through her eyebrow. "Hurt," she whispered and Morgan could hear the frown in her voice.

"Not anymore," Morgan murmured sleepily. Worry thrummed from 011 under her collarbone and she blindly reached out, grabbing Eleven's other hand and weaving their fingers together. Maxine Mayfield seemed to come alive, confusion and concern beginning to creep along. "Got it when Troy and Andrew didn't know who's boss a few years ago."

"They hurt you." Rage exploded from 011 and Morgan squeezed Eleven's hand.

Maxine Mayfield started to become frantic and Morgan could hear the What's wrong? and How can I fix it? and Are you both okay? swimming from the mark. Morgan sent reassurance back and tried to calm down Eleven — Morgan had a feeling Eleven was one to hold grudges, especially when someone hurts the ones she calls hers.