₀₀₁

⎯⎯your ocean eyes!

⎯⎯your ocean eyes!

Leaves crunched under her boots as Morgan Harrington walked through the woods, dark blue eyes flickering every direction as she ventured further and further. She tugged at her new leather jacket, breath misty white in the cold, goosebumps prickling her skin. Dark hair was tossed up in a messy bun, strands sticking to her forehead from the thin layer of sweat on her skin.

She wasn't sure how many times she had searched areas in these woods, looking for a sign, for something, anything.

But she never found anything, nothing but a dirty and bloodied blonde wig from before—

She took a deep breath and erased the image from her mind.

No, she thought, best not to think about it.

"Morgan, come in. Morgan, are you there?"

Morgan sighed and unclipped her walkie-talkie from her belt, bringing it up. "I'm here."

"Oh, thank god," Dustin's voice muttered through. "I've been calling for you for about two minutes now." A pause. "...What are you doing anyways?"

Morgan scowled. "Nothing," she answered, a tad coldly. "Just out on a walk."

Dustin scoffed, the noise crackling over the connection. "Right," he said doubtfully, but thankfully didn't push. "Well, you're gonna be late for the arcade if you keep going on these 'walks'."

"Dustin," Morgan warned lowly.

"Yeah, yeah," Dustin waved off. "You better be here. Over and out."

Morgan rolled her eyes as the connection was cut off. She shook her head and clipped it back to her belt, eyes scanning her surroundings. She reached into her pocket and unfolded her makeshift map of the woods. She crossed off the most recent section she had just searched with a red pen, frowning at the multitude of red x's along the paper.

Her fingers crinkled the map before she hurriedly stuffed it back into her pocket.

She hated looking at the red x's, hating what they stood for.

"I won't let anything happen to you."

Every red x was just another reminder of her failure.

"They'd have to kill me before I let them take you from me."

Morgan turned and headed back towards the familiar route out of the woods.

☆★☆

Morgan approached the arcade, nose scrunching up at the loud, boisterous noise coming from inside. She squinted against the lights, sighing as she rolled her shoulders, surging forward through the doors. She quickly spotted the boys and walked towards them, hands stuffed in her pockets.