₀₁₇

⎯⎯say goodbye!

⎯⎯say goodbye!

Morgan laid on the bleachers, head resting in Eleven's lap, eyes fluttering closed as the seconds went on, the pain behind her eyes a dull ache. Eleven leaned against Mike, who was beside her as Lucas kept fixing the towel around her shoulders, making sure she wasn't cold from the water earlier.

Suddenly, Mike leapt up and started to walk off, leaving the others behind. Eleven grunted softly, annoyance flickering across her face as she was forced to sit completely up, shifting. Morgan groaned, rolling onto her side as she curled up in her soulmate's lap. Eleven's annoyance disappeared as she reached down, fingers brushing through Morgan's dark hair, nails scraping gently against her scalp.

The doors to the gym banged open again as Mike stormed back in, face pinched. "They're gone."

"What?" Lucas asked, sitting up straighter.

"Nancy and Jonathan," Mike elaborated. "His car's gone."

"They're probably just sucking face somewhere," Dustin waved off.

"Ew," Mike hissed, looking disgusted.

'They went to fight the Demogorgon," Morgan said nonchalantly.

"What?" Mike snapped.

"How do you know that?" Lucas asked.

Morgan hummed. "I saw them leave earlier."

"And you didn't stop them?" Mike accused.

Morgan cracked open her eyes to glare at him. "Even if I wanted to stop them, what could I have said that would've changed Nancy Wheeler's mind?"

"She's got a point," Dustin said.

Mike tossed his hands up. "Guys, this is crazy! We can't just wait around if they've gone off to fight the Demogorgon."

Dustin and Lucas stood up to face him.

"Mike, in case you forgot, we're still fugitives," Lucas pointed out. "The bad men are still looking for us."

"Yeah, and we don't even know where your sister is," Dustin added.

"El can find them."

Morgan scowled as she sat up, rubbing at her eyes. Eleven was quick to lean into her side, humming softly.

"Mike, look at her!" Dustin exclaimed. "I still think we should stick to the chief's plan."

"Exactly. We stay here, keep El out of sight and keep her safe," Lucas said. "That's the most important thing, remember? Besides, she's okay. She's with Jonathan."

Morgan snorted. "More importantly, she has a gun."

"She's kind of a badass now, so..." Dustin turned and started to walk away.