₀₀₈

⎯⎯face your fears!

⎯⎯face your fears!

"What do you think they're whispering about?"

Morgan glanced up, raking her hair back from her face as she looked over at Max, who jerked a thumb over her shoulder. Morgan followed the direction and found Dustin and Lucas crouched down behind a busted old car, chatting about something, Dustin's mop of curly hair peeking through the broken window of the driver's side door and Lucas' hands waving dramatically as he talked.

"Probably something stupid," Morgan replied.

Max snorted.

Morgan looked back over at her with a small grin, which Max returned.

"Hey, dickheads!" Steve's loud voice exclaimed and the two glanced over to see him hit the car with the a rusted seat in his hands. "How come the only ones helping me out is my sister and her soulmate?" Both Dustin and Lucas jumped and looked at each other as Steve huffed, annoyed. "We lose light in forty minutes. Let's go." He walked off and paused when neither of the boys were following him. "Let's go, I said!"

Morgan guffawed at the twin looks of terror on Dustin and Lucas' faces as they scampered after Steve.

"They look like your brother just put the fear of god in them," Max laughed.

Morgan smirked. "Nah, that's just his 'mom voice'."

Max raised an eyebrow and turned towards her. "'Mom voice'?"

Morgan dramatically placed her hands on her hips. "'Don't do that, Morgan, it's bad for your health'," she mocked Steve's voice. "'No, Morgan, you can't just keep lighting Colin Vander's shoes on fire every time he looks at Will'."

Max blanched. "You did what—"

"Oh, are we talking about Colin Vander and his actively on fire shoes?" Dustin piped up as he approached them.

"You lit a boy's shoes on fire?" Max asked, stupefied.

Lucas chuckled. "You think that's bad? Wait until you hear about the Last Day of 1982."

Max hesitated, but the curiosity won. "What's the Last Day of 1982?"

Lucas and Dustin shared a look. Morgan was simply smug.

"Let's just say that the sprinkler system has to be checked yearly now," Lucas hedged.

"Considering that it was paint that came from it after Morgan set the fire alarm off," Dustin giggled.

"You..." Max trailed off, shaking her head. "But you must've been, what, eleven at the time?"

Morgan grinned and winked. "Never too young to be an activist."

"The word you're looking for is delinquent," Steve deadpanned as he wandered over, bracing a large piece of metal against the bus they were supposed to be fortifying.