₀₀₃

⎯⎯she haunts me!

⎯⎯she haunts me!

"Morgan."

Morgan looked up, seeing Eleven in front of her. She felt the air chill as she sat up, taking careful steps towards her before being forced to a stop.

"El," Morgan breathed out.

"Morgan."

Eleven stared at her blankly, tilting her head. A blinding light flickered behind her, illuminating her features, a sharp cold causing goosebumps to prickle along Morgan's skin. The shriek of a monster echoed, large claws grappling around the bright light, a portal being sawed into a doorway along the wall.

Morgan reached out for Eleven as the snarls of the monster became louder and louder as the seconds went on.

"Take my hand."

Eleven's eyes dragged down to her hand.

"Take it," Morgan demanded, muscles straining under the force keeping her there. "El, please."

Eleven finally looked back up, eyes nearly black. "Why?"

Morgan dragged in a breath. "Why what?" she asked.

Eleven stepped closer, close enough that Morgan's fingertips could almost brush against the fabric of the leather jacket she had stolen from her.

"Why would I take the hand of the one who got me killed?"

☆★☆

Morgan woke to hands gripping her shoulders. She choked out a gasp, chest heaving as she yanked her pocket knife from under her pillow, taking a wild swipe at the offender, who yelped and startled backwards quickly, barely dodging.

"Woah, hey, hey, it's me!" a familiar voice sputtered, waving their hands.

Morgan brushed her sweaty hair from her face, eyes squinting in the dark. "Steve?"

Steve let out a heavy sigh of relief. "Oh, thank god. I thought I was going to get stabbed."

Morgan's gaze darted around before she relaxed, finding herself in her bedroom back in her house, the moon barely visible through the cloudy night. "You gave me a heart attack," she hissed, shakily putting her knife back under her pillow.

"You?" Steve scoffed. "How about me? I was the one almost bludgeoned to death."

Morgan rolled her eyes before settling back against her pillows. "What are you doing in my room, Steve?"

"You were yelling," he admitted after a moment, almost guiltily. "I came to see if you were okay."

Morgan grimaced. "Shit, sorry."

"Don't apologize, kid," Steve said, glancing down hesitantly at her bedside, waiting for her nod before he sat down carefully. "Um, do you...do you want to talk about it?"