₀₁₆

⎯⎯when fear strikes!

Morgan practically leapt from Hopper's sheriff van when it pulled to a stop in front of the Byers' house. She took a deep breath, stretching out her cramped muscles and rubbing at the sore spot where Dustin's elbow was wedged in between her ribs on the ride there. Eleven stepped out cautiously, taking up Morgan's side quietly, tense and eyes narrowed, taking in her surroundings as if searching for any danger nearby that could possibly attack Morgan while she was distracted.

"Oh, my god, Mike!" Nancy's voice exclaimed as she barged through the front door and rushed down the stairs, practically tackling Mike in a hug. "I was so worried about you." She pulled away, glancing him up and down for injuries.

Mike blinked. "Yeah, uh...me, too."

Morgan snorted. "Elegant."

Mike tossed her a scowl over his shoulder as Nancy moved away from him.

Nancy looked over at her, eyes going wide. "Is that blood on your face?"

"It's not mine," Morgan answered, shrugging.

Nancy grabbed Morgan's sleeve, yanking her forward for her own hug. Morgan let out a breath as she tumbled into Nancy's arms, unsure but also comfortable.

"I'm glad you're okay, you maniac," Nancy muttered before pulling away.

Morgan grinned a little. "I'm glad I'm okay, too."

Nancy rolled her eyes and shoved Morgan away, causing the younger to laugh. Nancy looked over, pausing as she locked eyes with Eleven. "...Is that my dress?"

Morgan glanced back, snickering. "Yes, yes, it is."

Joyce walked up, cupping Morgan's face gently. "Are you sure you're okay, sweetie?" she asked, tilting Morgan's head side to side, checking for injuries.

"As okay as I can be considering my best friend was snatched away by a monster and my soulmate is on the run from the government that's currently trying to kill us," Morgan snarked.

Joyce's eyes went wide. "Soulmate?"

Morgan cleared her throat and stepped back, gesturing towards Eleven. "Joyce, meet Eleven or El as she likes to be called, my soulmate." Morgan grabbed Eleven's hand. "Eleven, meet Joyce, my mom in every way except blood."

Eleven flushed under the attention. "Hi."

Joyce smiled. "Hi." She glanced her up and down, brows furrowed in worry. "You're much too thin, honey. We need to get some meals in you after this is all over."

Eleven brightened. "Food?"

"Yes, honey, food," Joyce cooed, reaching out and running a careful hand over Eleven's head.

Eleven's eyes flickered closed at the contact.

Hopper coughed roughly. "Maybe we should all take this inside," he said, glancing around warily as if something was going to pop out at him.