Chapter 4: The Sweet Deal

[Time Skip to End of Family Reunion]

            Willow closed the door to the final visitor after such a lengthy family reunion. "Phew" she let out in relief. After a few hours of socializing, the young girl had grown tired of the invasive dating questions from her relatives. The constant interest in Willow's love life from aunts, uncles and more with questions of boys made her uncomfortable as an extremely closeted girl to her extended family, excluding Gaten of course.

"Hey we have a long day on set imma head out ugh soooo not looking forward to early hours tomorrow." Sadie said as she began to put on her coat preparing to brave the harsh winter storm waiting for her outside.

Willow looked at her with sadness. She had been pulled into so many conversations with relatives throughout the night, that she barely had time to talk to Sadie. That is, besides their mutual bond over Taylor Swift in Willow's room earlier in the evening.

Gaten inched his head in Sadie's direction giving an all knowing look to his cousin. Willow suddenly cleared her throat "uh um uh." Sadie gave the brunette her full attention, pausing the buttoning of her blue coat. "Yes?" She said and stifled a laugh with her eyes crinkled softly.

"I know we didn't get the chance to really talk much, but here is my number... ya know to text or FaceTime if Gaten ever gets on your nerves on set. I know how to deal with him, he can be quite an annoying shithead sometimes."

Willow pointed with her thumb towards Gaten and laughed nervously. Sadie smiled even brighter and took the the piece of paper from the girl's shaking hand. "aw thanks! And totally trust me, your cousin is the most annoying on set. He will never stops singing show-tunes in his trailer. I can hear him all the time because we are neighbors."

Willow's heart rate slowed and she gave a breath of relief. The talk Gaten and Willow had earlier set the train in motion. Willow was getting her dream girl!

[Flashback to 30 minutes prior]

Willow had enough of the pestering dating questions, so she had locked herself in her room.

She began to question: how much longer can I lie to my cousins about liking girls?

Years ago she had told Gaten, but they had known each-other since they were kids so it just came easy and natural. In the middle of her crisis, a sudden knock came at the door. "Why is this door locked Willy?" said a voice Willow knew immediately to be Gaten. She opened the door with tears in her eyes.

Gaten immediately closed the door and engulfed the short brunette in a soul crushing hug. They both sat on Willow's bed in a comfortable silence for around five minutes. That is until Gaten had to ask:

"Can you tell me what's making you so upset?"Turning to the girl, he watched as she stared at the floor tears now calming, as she wiped away the stray few that escaped.

"It's just..." She tried to find the best words, but flopped back on her bed now laying in frustration. "UGH!" She yelled. Gaten was about to interrupt, but Willow began speaking at a crazy fast speed.

"IT'S JUST" She took a deep breath trying to control her volume. "I'm so sick of everyone asking about boyfriends. I've liked girls for so long and yet, I'm still not fully out to our cousins because I'm so scared. Gaten, I'm so scared they won't love me anymore. What if they don't accept me?"

Gaten looked at his cousin with shock. He never thought about how hard it must be for queer people to come out to EVERYONE. He put his arm around his cousin and told her reassuringly: "Willow If they can't accept you then screw them! You don't want people in your life who don't support you. Hell I'll never talk to them again if they don't love you for who you are."

Willow then looked up from her fixed state on the hardwood floor. She smiled lightly turning to her cousin who was now a bit teary eyed too, "Thanks Gaten. It means so much to me that you just said that, you don't even know.".

Then the brunette seemed to be contemplating something important glancing around the room. "Can I ask you something?" She whispered. Gaten looked in intrigue matching her low volume jokingly "yah??" He said. "This may be out of line, but is Sades queer at all? Like not straight in the slightest bit that you know of?"

Gaten smiled and laughed. "If you tell me why you are asking this...I'll tell you."

Willow pondered this for a moment. Then she recalled what Darcy had promised her if she found out if Sadie was gay too. "I like her I think. I mean...fine I 100% do!! Have you seen her eyes? Oh my GOD Gaten I can't I-"

Gaten was now smiling even bigger.

"I was rambling, wasn't I?". He nodded and said "Yes but I can confirm she is bisexual. Fully out too... like I said y'all would be a nice pair. :)"

"I am going to propose to you a deal and I'll promise you Swedish fish next time I visit only if you accept, ok?" Said Gaten. Willow nodded vigorously. "You give Sades your number before she leaves." "MY WHAT NOW? NOOO WAY." "No number no fish." Gaten pointed out hoping to prompt a yes.

Now Willow was left to ponder again. Swedish fish were her absolute favorite. Gaten knew her weak spot for sweets. And so, what if she has your number? It would just be a friendly thing, she thought. "You have yourself a deal Matarazzo." Willow said and she stretched out her hand to secure the deal. They shook hands as if they had just closed a business deal. Gaten and Willow walked out of the room onto some other conversation topic laughing and joking; Willow's nerves still lingering, but now feeling better about his crisis.

[Flashback ended]

Sadie waved goodbye with Willow's number clunched in her hand. As soon as the door swung shut,  Gaten looked at Willow with excitement and a hint of proud-fullness for his cousin. They immediately high-fived in victory. "That was AWESOME Willy! Who knew you had the balls?" Willow laughed tilting her head back "I will do absolutely anything for Swedish fish Gaten."