Prom night (part 1)

Inserting contact lenses was a daunting challenge, but I managed to pop them in my eyes after about a few hundred tries. Dressing up, applying nail polish and letting my hair down is next. Luke nearly couldn't recognize me -I'm not using makeup- yet I nearly didn't too. I look so... so different. My face is the same, albeit a rounder shape plus vanished panda eyes - but totally different aura. Instead of the shrinking-away-to-hide vibe, I'm here and shining. The biggest difference: I feel good about being me.

Making sure my eye mask is solidly stuck on my face, I walk past the school snack shop. Many females crowd before mirrors and reflective surfaces, adding cosmetics to their faces. All of them are wearing colourful prom dresses in every colour of the rainbow, though not one of them more daring than mine. When I breeze past them, everyone stops what they're doing and focuses on me, especially the guys. It might be the dress - any girl can be alluring in this. Apple- in a high-low hem, 24K golden shade sequinned dress that sags to the floor- squints in my direction for a few seconds. Everything on her is gold, her eyes, her lips, her eye mask. Even her nails shine in ...well, a golden shade. She might as well have painted her entire face gold. My mouth isn't going to drop wide open if she produces golden tears. Her eyes widen beneath her glittering eye mask as she does a double take, 'Celestia?' Holy crap. She hasn't pierced her ears yet, 'You're not half as ugly as your handwriting. Why flaunt?' Shooting her a reproving glare, I'm astonished the pang in my chest hurts less than I imagined it would, 'I'm guessing gold is the new trend.' Apple studies me, 'Do you not know what revealing is? What idiot doesn't know the dress code ?' I look way too good to be sad tonight, 'Why not ? "I'm sexy and I know it." '

With most attention on my exposed shoulders and necklace, I try out the food after talking with Apple. So much for a secret identity. I get uncountable once-overs. Nick is so stunned by me showing skin -Surprise!- his sausage rolls right off his plate and onto his midnight blue pants-a matching set to his suave tux, 'Oh.' He's amazingly smoking hot with his bangs slicked back, even if the sausage leaves a stain. Others lose interest in me minutes later, yet not disinterested at the gem I flaunt. A mysterious boy leans against his chair -he's not an S1G2 guy- catches my eye. His hair's slightly wavy and he's in conversation with some S1G2 people. I've seen him before. He appears cultured, clad in a grey eye mask and matching tux. I smile shyly at him while unable to make out who he his. People are still checking me out, starting from the big fat diamond to the DIY eye mask.

Holding my dress up with an arm and walking up 2 flights of stairs is easy-peasy. A small group of male teachers -dressed as professional bouncers- stand beside the wooden doors on both sides, collecting tickets. They all gawk at the gem one by one by one. I give them my ticket and stride into the Hall, lifting my chin up like I'm the most dangerous female at school.

I take seconds to see in the dimness. Black curtains are drawn over the windows, entirely blocking off the outside world. Streams of fairy lights glow along the front edge of the stage, introducing reality to fantasy. Loads of banners connect walls to the ceiling in red and yellow and blue, making the place insanely festive. The multicoloured balloons floating mid-air besides every column lightens the mood. Giddy with excitement, I find a spot on the dance floor.

2 emcees emerge onstage at precisely four thirty. 'Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!' Whistles, whoops and claps. They invite performers onstage and we watch the singing and dancing performances, each more brilliant than the last. All the shows are mind blowing hits. We have acapellas, piano solos and dance performances ending in rounds of applause and shouts of "encore". After the lucky draw (students from another grade won), the stage goes dark and empty. Pop music starts playing as the emcees encourage us to dance.

I don't know if I should start dancing or melting into the background. I hesitate, already self-conscious to dance alone. XYZ dances over to me, 'Hey! You look great! Don't just stand there, dance and have fun!' I start to move a bit, 'That's what I wanna do too.' XYZ bumps my hip with hers, 'No one's watching you, move your feet.' 'Your dress! It's stunning!' I exclaim, 'Is it your idea to go grey?' I ask. Her off the shoulder dress has a sash looping around her waist, gauzy grey starting from her upper arms and ending directly under her butt. Tiny crystal stars stud everything. She sticks out her tongue, 'Grey is glam!' The gem dangling from my neck catches her eyes, 'Hey! It's genuine!' 'Thanks, you're the only person who complimented.' 'I can tell your bling bling's real,' her fingers briefly trace my collarbone, 'What......?'

'My granddad passed away years ago, leaving money to my family.' I start swaying and clapping to the beat, dazzling diamond bouncing, 'C'mon!' The dance floor seems to shake along the beat, steady and lively. Both of us flit around each other in circles, moving in sync. XYZ laughs joyfully. Eva- in a silvery dress with a thigh high slit spelling PRESTIGIOUS in all caps- and her girlfriends are busy gawking while keeping to the sidelines, too nervous to dance and refusing to admit it. If I don't relax now, when will I ever have fun? Moving in sidesteps, I grin wildly alongside my dance buddy, enjoying the weight off my shoulders. I'm so happy I almost float. My body relaxes and I dance without planning, song after song. XYZ does jazz hands before moving her shoulders. I mirror her movements without a care in the world, fist sized diamond catching light. I glance at Eva seeing her move her arms animatedly, talking to her friends. She pulls them out to the dance floor. XYZ and I carry on dancing around each other, living the life.

I glance at Nick once per song. He's dancing with Eva and their combined squad. Any time now. I shake my hips, XYZ copies. We dance in sync for a while. 'Oh my God. Are Eva and her pals seem to be... doing some sort of waggle dance?' XYZ shakes her hips again. I agree, 'Killer bees.' Eva spins among her squad and-her eyes pinpoint on my diamond necklace, more sharper than any compass needle. And her face. Her face says it all! I nearly die from insane laughing. Then she flips her wavy hair, spins the other way and shimmies. Ha. XYZ moves enthusiastically, 'I wish I've snapped a picture.'

An emcee announces 'It's time to crown this year's Beau of the Night and Belle of the Night.' Unsurprisingly, a certain girl sashays over to the foot of the stairs leading up to the stage, in a shimmering silver dress with one shoulder strap. The emcee continues 'Our students have voted. The Belle of the Night is... Eva! Congratulations! ' She struts onstage, her hips swaying from one side to another with each step. 'Give it up for the Belle of the Night!' The emcee shouts. Eva's very skin glows under the spotlight as she snatches a jewelled tiara from the emcee and eagerly places it on her head after kissing it. The audience turns into heated whoops and deafening applause. Dramatic. '1. 2. 3. ALL HAIL THE PROM QUEEN!' Her squad members chant as one. The emcee welcomes the Beau of the Night onstage next, and Eva wraps her arm around his before he faces the audience. Oh my gosh, The Person Whose Rucksack I Contaminated is her date? Almost everyone erupts into deafening cheers the second his crown firmly settles on his hair. He flexes his muscles before sharing a passionate kiss with Eva. At once, everyone screams and cheers. XYZ mutters something about her megaphone stunt bringing undesired effect to Eva's campaign. The rest of the prom court gets sashes and a group pic. Then the It couple gracefully sweeps towards the dance floor. More pretty and poised than any royalty amid endless claps and whoops. Her friends -and everybody else- clap. I dance on, ignoring her and her partner. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I can sense questions bubbling up. 

"How could you let the mean girl win, Micheline ?!" It's a popularity contest, the winners are always the popular people. 

"I thought you'd let Eva get what's coming to her!" Yup, just later in the story, so stick around. (*^▽^*) 

"What about Nick × Celestia moments?" Oh they'll definitely spend time tgt in the next chapter(s). I mean, c'mon, it's the school dance. <(`^')>

Also, will you guys vote for my story ? Thanks a bunch!  >^_^<