Date: 27/6, Tue (part 2)

It's so quiet we can hear a pin drop. Stunned silence and open mouths show I've said most of my thoughts out loud. Gave away my emotions. A second panic motion zaps through me like a lightning strike. Every single one of them shut up, especially the people surrounding Nick. Even the university students become spectators. Nick's simply frowns-at me. They're outright judging. He's judging. I'm on the verge of flying off the rails. My voice brittles, 'In a city without virus outbreaks, you guys sure want one.' I still feel everyone's eyes on me. It's nearly intolerable. Somehow- somehow- I manage to laugh, deep and non-humorous. The only sound in the utterly silent library. A bizarre expression -discomfort?- briefly flashes across The Person Whose Rucksack I Contaminated's face, 'Cele-' 'Get. Away from me.' My voice breaks without intention. Then I bolt.

We're dismissed before leaving the library. Today can't get any worse, right? Eva's talking with Nick up ahead. She places an arm across his shoulders and both of them are laughing closely at something. Are they friends or is Eva giving out the "back off, he's mine" message to the world? I'm too drained to be frustrated at the sight. Life isn't fair, and I'm sucking it up from the bottom basement. If my body isn't aching as well, I'd hate to know which organ is.

My iPhone buzzes with 15 texts from Apple. 15 texts in 2 minutes. A lengthy explanation on the necklace thing, several "Can we still be friends?" and "so forgive me thanks". Exactly the same aftermath of most short-term fallouts we have. Looking up from the screen, I see Apple standing aside sheepishly. 'Are we friends?' 'Yes,' I cover up my desperation and exhaustion, 'but no more "A"s for me.' Apple suddenly hugs me, pinning my arms like she's never letting me go. My gut tells me to get free by running 10 metres away from her. I want to wriggle out of her clingy embrace but there's no one else to go to. I pat her on the back a few times, 'Can you get along with XYZ?' 'Sure,' she unhugs me, 'the three of us should hang out sometime. I'm sad for her, the stuff she's going through. XYZ is such an inspiration. It's marvellous how she copes.' I try not to roll my eyes.

'What's going on with your backpack?' She asks. Both of us stroll towards the MTR station. 'Imaginary M germs. That's what-' 'Eva did this, didn't she?' She's hungry for answers. 'Hypothetically speaking, she took it before it's makeover session.' 'She's guilty,' Apple persists, 'I know what happened.' I say, 'But I didn't see her scrawl over my backpa-' 'Celestia, nobody despised you as much as she does. She's always acting up, especially when regarding M germs. Isn't that obvious?' She shakes me, 'Make up your mind.' 'Innocent until proven guilty, jury.' I reason. We aren't on the same page. 'If she's on fire,' I spit furiously, imagining the glorious scene, 'I won't hesitate to watch her burn after lighting her myself.'

'How should I hide the backpack from my parents?' I ask. Apple thinks for a long while. 'Dump it on your way home.' 'And carry everything in my arms? No.' 'You only have, like, a few things in there.' Apple tightens her ponytail. 'How did you know that? I never told you how much I carried today.' I lower my glasses down my nose bridge, attempting to be seriously mature. Apple giggles and pushes my glasses back up, 'You look like a granny.' I demand, 'How did-?' 'Fine,' she increases her walking speed, 'I saw your bag on the floor -after its makeover- with your things on the sofa. Then I shoved them in. Are you accusing me?' 'Innocent until proven guilty.' I reiterate. She simply shoves me, 'You are hopeless, lawyer.'

When I press the doorbell, Liane -the maid with the brown wavy hair- opens the door for me and lets out a big gasp at my backpack. I walk over the threshold, dumping my shoes aside, 'Not a word to my parents.' 'But about the-' the maid looks a tad bit uncomfortable. 'Don't say anything to them,' I reiterate.

Turns out, I don't have to hide anything from Dad and Mum. Both of them are out, one to a CEO meeting, another to a spa with friends. Luke's busy playing his Xbox, plus the other maids are busy with their duties. I should be happy having one less problem to worry about. Actually, I'm not.

I find an extra backpack by rummaging through my walk-in wardrobe, shouting for my maid, 'Hey, Aranobrac!' No answer from the empty hallway. 'Aranobrac! Where are you?' I clear my throat, 'HELLO?' Hurried footsteps pound. 'Celestia, what do you need?' Her head pops through the wardrobe door. I toss my bag at her, 'Please wash my bag without telling my parents.' She catches it with one hand, observing it, 'Are you bullied at school? Should I inform your parents? Are you-' 'I'm cashing in the favour,' I avoid her questions, 'DO NOT inform anybody.' 'Understood, I'll ask Liane to clean it.' She pretends to zip her lips shut. 'Thanks,' I rub my temple, 'no rush. Whatever you do, I need the writing gone.' Her crystal blue eyes see through me, 'Celestia, is everything ok at school?' I hold my tongue. She shoots me a questioning look, 'Are you ok?' 'Not exactly,' I can't hold back any longer, 'in fact, school's awful.' 'Bullies are the worst! No wonder you haven't been yourself.' She touches the graffiti, 'Were they picking on you because of family luxury?' 'No,' nothing can hide the clarity in my monotone answer, '"M" doesn't stand for money.' I let out a mirthless laugh, 'I'm forbidden from bragging and boasting since I was born. Look where that got me.' 'Look on the bright side. Your parents wanted to prevent people from going after your money.' 'Well,' I say matter-of-factly, 'the irony isn't lost.' Her hair band snaps as though on cue, blond hair falling to her hips, 'What does "M" mean?' I didn't expect her to stick her nose in my business. Bashing me with a broom would've been less painful. 'I can keep secrets,' Aranobrac taps her chin when I admire her natural born hair, 'part of maid service.'

Not keeping to myself isn't entirely a bad idea.

'Monster.'  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celestia is feeling down, care to cheer her up with a vote ?