Date: 3/6, Fri

Aranobrac slips out of the toilet with guilt in her crystal blue eyes, first thing in the morning. 'I'm sorry. There's an accident with your glasses. Celestia, I'm very sorry.' The frame is broken in half at the nose bridge area, soap bubbles attached. For a second, I can't say anything. She smooths the white apron over her work skirt, 'Can it be fixed?' 'No big, it can be fixed.' I manage not to freak out, 'I should try contact lenses someday.' Seeing blurs everywhere, I walk to my glasses dresser -both arms stretched out- and fetch my previous pair. Which was also broken in the same place, held together with tape. More guilt shows on her Barbie face. 'Really, it's ok.' I reassure her, 'My parents won't be mad.' 'I've snapped 2 of your glasses in a row.' Her blond bun bounces as my personal maid bobs her head, 'Is there some way I can make things up to you?' 'Some way?' A grin forms on my mouth, 'You mean you'd do any one thing I ask?' 'Celestia, if you put it that wayyyy.....' Her pink lips form an upside down smile. 'Nothing illegal, I'm sure. Nothing involving money either.' I toss her a thoughtless smile. 'Phew,' She huffs a sigh in clear relief, 'I owe you one.' 'Get ready when I call in that favour.' I take my broken glasses from her.

I get to the exam venue a few minutes earlier than the exam begins. Apple gasps loudly, 'Who is this stranger?' Keep it down. 'The girl with silly glasses?' Shut up and change the topic.

Being closely observed from all around isn't on my bucket list. 'Ummm...' Think. I garble, 'The previous French dictation was hard, don't you think?' They all found something to study, after giving me the impression of witnessing something rotting. Oh God, I don't want to deal with this situation again. I turn my back to them.

'Are you back to normal now?' Apple finally stops mentioning my glasses.

'Pretty much. Are you pulling my leg?' I deadpan. 'I'm always normal.'

'No, you weren't yesterday. Don't you lie to me. I'm your friend!'

'What?' I'm stunned to the core.

'Actually, what happened yesterday?' She tries to dig for the truth.

'I stood up for myself in public.' I recall. Can't believe I actually did.

'Obviously!' She examines my face, looking for visible changes. 'What made you talk?'

'I-I don't know.' I hold out both hands before me in a defence position. 'Ok, I took a chance to voice out. Honestly, I didn't need chances, only the power to voice out.'

'Seriously?' She demands, slamming her hand onto a table nearby. Who are you? My boss?

I stomp a foot on the ground once, also producing noise. 'Yah. Who else could've known where that black AirPod was?'

She deeply exhales through her nose like she's dealing with someone stupid, 'Anyone could have suggested him to check in the 'Lost & Found' box. Anyone could have seen that black Air-' She stops mid talk, 'How did you know its colour?'

I wish I never opened my mouth. 'I've actually seen it in the 'Lost & Found' box a while ago,' my voice is carefully chill.

'Who cares?' She grabs me by both shoulders, 'What I'm saying is anyone could have suggested the same thing. Don't be full of yourself cuz you're completely average.'

'Yeah.' I let out several flat laughs, 'Average.'

She lets go, shoving me slightly backwards.

I regain my balance, puffing my cheeks, 'Tell that to our classmates, won't you?'

'Hmph! You're hopeless!' She suddenly turns her head the other way, smacking me in the face with her ponytail curls. 'You talk when you feel like it. What about me?'

'I thought we were both talking about me.' I try soothing her, 'You always talk whenever you wish, right?'

'You never understand!' She cries, throwing both arms high above her head. 'I'm off to revise on my own now!'

'Because I don't understand what you say?' I question, watching her turn on her black leather shoes, 'I'm hopeful, not hopeless.' 'Hmph!' Apple doesn't look at me, 'How naive can you be, CUTIE?' 'I'm not-' 'Nick heartthrob Swanspin has a soft spot for you!' She leaves me behind. So that's what she intended to say in the first place.

'What are you doing?' Eva takes in the sight of me rummaging through the box of sparkle pens at recess. I gulp, 'Trying to borrow a yellow pen.' 'You contaminated the whole box! How self-centered can you be ?' She projects her voice, the perfect Hollywood actress she is. The rest of the class is appalled at me. I don't give in to the guilt building up despite all those grimaces, 'I was a Jellicle Cat, remember?'

Eva looks horrifyingly torn between sanitising all the sparkly pens and tossing them away in public. 'I... I can't even... Class vote!' She pulls herself together. 'Everyone can vote once. Whoever wants to sanitise all the pens, raise your hands.' Eva commands unfalteringly. I square my shoulders, determined not to cower. A dozen hands shoot up, zero questions asked. 'Whoever wants to throw the pens away, raise your hand.' She commands once more. About 20 hands shoot up. Not for the first time, I wish I'm living in a parallel universe. A world without M germs. 'The class has spoken.' Eva puts on disposable gloves and proceeds to dump them in the bin.

'Wait!' I get in her path. 'If you guys don't want them, I'll take them. I was a cat.' They spare us several indifferent glances.

Eva waves it in mock horror. 'You want these after you dirtied them? Not happening, unless...' A malicious pause. 'Beg. Beg to kiss my ass for a month.' Really? 'What are you waiting for?' Eva asks impatiently, making my blood boil. 'You have 5 seconds. 5.' She holds up a hand, fingers outstretched. '4,' her thumb folds onto her palm. '3,' her brown eyes harden, one more finger down. '2,' her icy stare rakes through me. Her lips move, '1-' 'Give her the sparkly pens, Eva.' XYZ pipes up. 'She has the right to use them...' Eva shoots her a death glare. '...technically.' XYZ finishes in a small voice, wise enough not to pick a fight. 'Alright, here you go.' Eva's tone turns sickly sweet, making a big show of opening the box lid, tilting it, and spilling them in the bin. I hide a despairing whimper as a glittering rainbow tumbles into the trash. So much for class democracy. Shocked gasps from S1G2 people are the last thing on my mind. 'How generous of you,' I mutter. Only one shred of discipline -and finals- keep me from waving dollar bills in her face.

'I'm back.' Readjusting my glasses, I make sure the tape is obviously shown. 'Mum, can you give me $100 for the month?' I clarify, 'both money or cheque is fine.' I can tell she won't say no. Sure enough, she slides me a cheque for a hundred. A training for me to handle transactions myself. 'Don't spend all of it. Luke got 95% on his Chinese homework this week, which is why we're going out for pizza in half an hour.' 'Pizza's great!' I avoid sharing unnecessary details, 'Calm down, I'm not gonna splurge one billion in a shopping spree.' 'What's in your pocket?' She asks, gesturing to my bulging cardigan pockets. 'Sparkle pens.' I declare enthusiastically. Digging all of them out of the bin was so gross, I threw up in the toilet afterwards. It's actually worth the trouble. XYZ was considerate enough to slip me a mint when no one noticed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy, peeps. You know what else would brighten Celestia's day? A precious vote. (^ waggles eyebrows) Comments would do too. Thanks!