Chapter 21: The Opposite Sides of Grief

Author's Note: So you know how I said there wouldn't be fluff until a few chapters later? So I couldn't really resist and I added a Christmas flashback and an "18 Again" reference if you guys know that show. The story is told in two different ways (kinda) between Cheong San and Suhyeok and how they remember it.  Also, this chapter, while containing a good chunk of fluff, is still pretty darn angsty, and the plot twists keep on coming, like a pretty big one is coming in this chapter. I should also probably warn you guys that as soon as you get reading, there's a suicide attempt so viewer discretion is advised.

It's one thing to be grieving for someone and it's another to be the person being grieved. The pain one feels is different on both sides, and the truth is revealed in two different ways. The days just never get easier for any of them. The gang from Hyosan Highschool were to stay at the quarantine camp to recuperate until the government had contained the situation around Hyosan and potentially the other cities. The atmosphere at the quarantine camp was always palpable and somber, at least, that's what it was like for Suhyeok. People process grief in different ways, some better than others, and Suhyeok couldn't tell if he was one of them. No one could forget the incidents that have happened at the quarantine camp: Byeong Chan's infiltration, the Hyosan Bombing, Cheong San's final messages, and there were a few more since then that tested Suhyeok's faith in living. 

One time was when Suhyeok and Onjo caught Hyeon trying to commit suicide in front of the grave they made for Cheong San, Jae Ik, Ho Chul, and the others. Suhyeok could never forget the way Onjo scrambled to wrench the pills out of Hyeon's hands and the tears and cries that followed. Thinking back now, it was very close to how Suhyeok felt when he had first lost Cheong San, it was like he was dying, but Hyeon... she really only had her one and only son. 

Hyeon walked up to the hill where they paid tribute to the people who made honorable sacrifices, her posture poised and gentle as she slowly made her way to the crest of the hill. The soft sound of rain and the sound of rustling grass graced her steps as she slowly came to a stop in front of Cheong San's grave. Kneeling down, Hyeon took a deep breath and finally mustered the courage to look at the picture of her son and his smiling face. 

"Cheong San-ah... I'm here... has it been lonely for you these days?" Hyeon asked as she set her bag down and kneeled there peacefully in front of Cheong San's picture. It was soothing to sit here by her son's side, the cool wind calmed her skin, calming the tremors and sobs. 

To be honest, Hyeon preferred cloudy and windy days over sunny ones and she would always get a giggle out of hearing Cheong San complain about the cold and rain. Of course her Cheong San would complain because she always likened him to the sun. Her sunshine. There should be nothing in the way to obscure or hide Cheong San's light from the world. Yet, that was exactly what happened. The sun may continue to shine, but the light in her world has died. 

"I didn't know how to act like your son, and I felt like a fraud..."

"My darling boy.... Eomma misses you so much.... I can't send you off alone... I don't want you to go all by yourself..." Hyeon sobbed, doubling over, and she eyed the bottle of pills she had in her hand. The thunder was rumbling in the distance. The grass was wet as if the heavens had been crying and it wouldn't be long now. Hyeon, with a shaking hand, poured the pills into her hand and she stared at them, her eyes flitting to the picture of Cheong San. It started to rain slightly and Hyeon took that as a sign that there would be no happiness in her life without her light and joy, "I'll come to you now...." Hyeon whispered and hung her head, ready to make her decision. Hyeon slowly brought the pills to her lips and just as she about to consume them, there was a swift swipe, the grip on her arm strong and Hyeon looked up to find Onjo looking at her in horror. Suhyeok and So-ju were right behind her, staring at the fallen pills in the grass, the looks on their faces saying enough.