Chapter 9 | pretty, smart.

L hadn't seen you in your 'good work clothes' before now. Usually you kept things casual since it was just you and him, occasionally Watari. But when you came back from your day out collecting footage he was met with you in your good suit. Took him a second to process that, not expecting it after knowing you as a casual dresser this whole time.

Maybe he was just a bit lovestruck seeing a pretty detective in a suit.

But when you plugged in the USB full of footage he snapped out of it and got back into detective mode. You both sat and watched the footage of street for hours making sure to not miss anything. And after a long, boring afternoon of analysing, you had a theory.

At 6pm, the victim walks home from university down the street before turning into her house and going inside. About 5 minutes later at 6:05, a hooded presumably man around 5.8'' walks in the same direction as the victim. What happens the next new minutes is unknown. But you and L assumed he must have sat waiting outside the house, and through an open window or unlocked door planted the poison in the ice cream while the victims back was turned. Then around 6:28pm, he walks back in the direction he came, turns a corner and goes out of sight of the footage. Assuming he parked his car in a nearby street, he gets in and drives back up the street to drive past the victims house and make sure she ate the ice cream by looking through the windows as he went past.

The poison is ingested, slowly starts to damage the victims body and after 48 hours she dies in her sleep.

All you had on this hooded figure was an estimated height and weight, pale skin from the visible hands, the outfit being a black hoodie and grey jeans with white sneakers and the fact they drive what seems to be a white Toyota Carola or something similar.

No number plate as the cameras weren't at the right angle and no face for the suspect. But it was a start.

"All the victims are around 18-30 right? Could it be they're targeting university students? There's two universities in the area and that is the age range someone would be in university. If we look into all the victims and they're all students of the universities in the area then that's a connection for sure" you suggested.

L thought for a second, realising you might be onto something and turned to his laptop to look up the case files on each victim. He picked up his pen and wrote the name of each victim, and the university they were attending or had attended next time them. And sure enough, both universities in the area were the only ones that showed up.

"I'm so big brain oh my god-" you joked, leaning over the notebook to read the list over for any more possible connections.

L continued to write.

They're only about 3km way from each other. Ones a private university and the other a community college. So there's about 3 suburbs in the surrounding area, I'd say that's the high risk zone. Anyone who lives around the area needs to watch their backs.

"Yeah we should probably issue a public warning... and figure out who this creepy guy could be" you replied.

L scribbled his words on the paper again.

I looked at the student list while you were out, and there's a handful of people that match the very vague description of the suspect we had. Unfortunately for us 5.8", pale men who wear basic clothes are most of the population in the area so it's a wide net to cast. But it's at least one of them.

He was right a tall, skinny white guy is like 70% of the student body in the area. So there's a lot of people to sift through without knowing any defining features like hair, eyes, facial shape or any tattoos and scars. But if you could figure out who the person the victim was talking about on the phone, the guy who 'is gonna catch a case' you can narrow things down a lot.

"See if we can track down the person she was on the phone with, maybe we can get a name of this creepy guy" you said.

L nodded, turning to his laptop to look through the list of people who were at the victims funeral. Surely all her friends would go to it, so at least one of them would be the person on the phone that day. It's just a matter of asking them which one it was.

As you both looked into thing, the door to the hotel room opened and Watari, who had been sent out by L to get food had come back.

"Ah, you're back (l/n). Looking more professional this time" he joked.

"Gotta break out the fancy work suit if I'm out interrogating" you replied.

"L could never. He'd scream I'd I try and put him in a suit"

L looked up from the laptop and gave his father figure a 'how dare you' look. Only earning a snicker from Watari.

"I'm not wrong though am I?" He joked.

L glared at him, waving something in sign language at him.

"Language young man"

Another mess of hand gestures.

"I know you're over 20 but I'm still the caretaker here"

You couldn't help but snicker at the interaction. You'd always found their dynamic rather cute and funny. L saltiy signing playful insults at his father figure and Watari just teasing him back never failed to entertain you.

Watari put the fresh pastries L made him go get on the table, and immediately went to make tea to accompany them.

"Got any new leads?" He asked from the kitchenette.

"Possible suspect actually, although we have no name or face so... it's a start at least" You said.

"Look at you two, speeding though this case like it's nothing. You might just end up a permanent helper around here (y/n)"

You looked over at L, who only shrugged and nodded. That was a solid maybe.

"I could live with that, L's fun to work with" you replied.

L cracked a slight smile, your percentage of being a permanent addition to the team raising each day you were with him. If you and L worked so well together maybe it was destiny for you to join forces from here on out. If this case went well, you might just come along on his next one too.