Chapter 55 | interrogation 2

How familiar this felt. You were back in an interrogation room, L sitting in the other side of one way glass to watch, and your suspect across the table from you.

Exactly how you'd started this case many months ago in another country, and now you were repeating the actions for hopefully the final time in this investigation. Across you was Miss Andrea, Rosie's year 1 teacher, and your suspect.

She just looked like a teacher, with the classic glasses and bun duo and long cardigan and maxi skirt. She looked like your typical sweet middle aged woman, although you knew what lay under that facade was sinister. You had to be careful with your wording here, to make sure you didn't give anything away that you were onto her.

"Alright, so that covers all the legal details. Thank you for your cooperation. I'm guessing you know why you're here?" You began, after covering the mandatory part about legal rights.

"I'm guessing this is about my student, who had her parents killed?" She asked.

"Correct, we just want to talk to as many people as possible so we can connect all the dots and paint the full picture. We know who carried out the crime, and we have Rosie in custody and safe. I questioned her when she was saved and understandably she was very scared and confused so getting information from her was difficult-"

"I would expect so, she's only 6 after all. She must be having such a hard time"

Her fake sympathy didn't fool you, you just knew that at the very least she knew something.

"She'd being treated, so I can assure you she'd safe. But we still need more information about her life leading up to the crime, which is why we bought you in. You taught her week daily for most of the year, so you'd have interacted with her and seen her a lot" you explained.

"That makes sense, I understand. I'll give you anything I can recall" she replied.

Even though you couldn't see L though the one way glass behind you, you could feel his gaze on you as he watched intensely. He had a very intense stare, and you'd grown used to feeling it whenever he was focused on you.

"Alright, in the week leading up to the crime do you recall seeing any strange people around the school or around the general area?" You asked.

"Not that I can recall, although I'll admit I wasn't really paying attention since I was inside teaching all day. If there was someone lurking outside I wouldn't have seen them" she replied.

You jotted that down, making notes of each of her responses to make sure you could spot any inconsistencies.

"Ok... we're you aware of any rivalries between Rosie and another kid? Or Rosie's family and another family?" You asked.

"She was always a very quiet kid, she didn't seem to socialise well so she was picked on here and there. But nothing so extreme I'd call it bullying. More like kids not understanding people are shy sometimes. So I don't think she ever had any enemies. I can't say for her parents though, I'd only seen them during parent teacher interviews and occasionally at pickup and drop off times" Miss Andrea replied.

You didn't find it too odd that a teacher wouldn't know the parents of a child too well, since they had a whole class of kids to keep up with and the parents were away at work during school hours. It's not like they could sit down and chat very often.

"Did Rosie ever seem like she'd been upset or scared by something? We know that her parents weren't in any way bad to her, but it's possible someone else close to her might have been. So have you ever noticed any bruises or scratches on her? Was she ever acting out?" You asked.