Chapter 11 | sketchy persons

Scrolling through the list of students that could be your potential suspects, you were trying to match names to discussions on MySpace, Facebook and the university chat boards for any kind of information about a 'sketchy person' that the masters victim talked about.

Scrubbing the internet for any kind of gossip wasn't how you expected this case to go, but here you were scrolling through social media posts looking for any any of alluded 'sketchy behaviour'. L was doing the same, scrolling through various profiles and hoping to find another lead.

You'd been able to rule a few people out already, as they had an air tight alibi. Some weren't even in the state at the time of the killings, and some had made posts showing they were at events the same time the killing happened. So your list was getting somewhat narrowed down.

"Man what's with freshly into university men and thinking they're hot shit? This guy is boasting about how drunk he got at a party the other night... lame" you muttered.

L wasn't one for alcohol, so he never understood the appeal of getting shitfaced either. That and parties aren't really his crowd, lots of talking involved.

You'd both decided it was easier if you stayed together more often for the case, so you'd planned to get another hotel that had room for you. And you'd have a friend house sit while you were away for work, right now you were still in the first hotel, but staying the night for work again. This time you actually had your own pyjamas, and L couldn't help but find your bunny slippers the cutest addition to the sleepy look.

Now he'd come to the realisation he truly liked you, it was like everything you did, even the most mundane things were amazing to him.

"Hey... look at this I'll send you the link" you spoke up.

He got a message through instant messenger and clicked the link, leading to a post by a group of girls. It was the comment thread that was interesting.

"They're all talking about the same guy, apparently he tried to get a drunk girl alone at a party. Disgusting. He is on the list though" you explained.

L scanned over the comment thread, finding a lengthy conversation about how this guy supposedly targeted drunk girls at parties. Gross. But that did fit the definition of sketchy behaviour. He looked the man's name up, but to his surprise there was no page for him. He typed you back a message.

He has no social media.

"Odd... everyone does nowadays. I suppose that in itself isn't too suspicious, some people just like privacy. But given the context..." you mumbled.

This man, Max Deandrews was quite the hot topic among this group of girls. Not for a good reason though... his picture in the university database did match the vague description you had of a potential suspect. Pale, average height, casual clothes... it was still a wide net to cast but a lead was a lead.

L figured if he didn't have social media, surely there'd be some kind of public information about him anyway. Like a legal registration for his car, any past arrests, and friends posting pictures of him. So he googled the name, scrolling through the search results.

He came across some pictures of him posted by friends, but not much else. He'd really have to dig deep for this one. He shot you another message.

There's not much about him online. I'll try police database, see if he had any past arrests. You look through IP trackers.

"Sounds good, I'll get on it" you replied.

You were both invested now, feeling good about this lead. It may be late and you were both sitting in the dark only lit by your laptops but you were on a roll. While you looked for a link to his IP address, L searched his name in the database and to his luck, something came up.

An arrest made a year ago for a DUI. He was 3 times the legal limit when he was pulled over for a breath test and arrested. He didn't go to jail, just paid a fine and had his licence revoked for a while. But the record meant L had documents on the car he drove and the number plate. And what do you know... a white Toyota.

He quickly sent you the screenshots, and you immediately perked up.

"Just like the car in the video... I found is IP and he'd be living in the area with that address. I think this is our best bet. He's sketchy as hell" you said.

L quickly typed a reply.

He looks similar to the guy in the video, as the same type of car, lives in the area, goes to the same university as the last victim, is known for preying on drunk girls and has been arrested before. He fits the criteria.

"Definitely, should we take him in for questioning?" You asked.

Not yet, we should collect more info from those around him first build a profile and find out where he was the night of each death. He might not be the only criminal here, he could have a friend in on it so we should find that out too.

He had a point. If someone else was in on it, and you took Max in for questioning too soon, the other person may catch wind of it and destroy evidence or flee before you can detain them. It's best to get as much information as possible and if there is someone else involved, arrest them at the same time. This should all be  kept secret right now.

"Look as us go, no sleep but making strides in the case" you smiled.

God... who let you have such a pretty smile..?

He quickly snapped from his lovesick daze and nodded in agreement, you were both doing a good job.

"Well I'm going to save all this and go to sleep, I'm tired. We've got a suspect and I think that's enough for one night" you said.

L nodded again, watching you start to pack yourself up for the night.

Now was a good chance, he could say goodnight to you. Thinking about it for a moment as he watched you pack your stuff up, he opened his mouth to speak and...

Nothing.

It was caught in his throat again.

Such a simple word 'goodnight', and he couldn't do it. He knew if he pushed himself he'd only hurt himself, so in defeat he sighed and turned back to his laptop in disappointment.

"You better get some sleep too, tomorrow at least" you said.

He looked up and you again and nodded.

"Thanks for letting me stay again, although when we move to the other hotel things will definitely be easier"

He gave you a 'tell me about it' look, and agreed.

He should have expected it, since you did it last time too, but somehow he was still shocked when you reached down to hug him goodnight. You wrapped an arm around him, felt him stiffen in shock for a moment and hesitantly he wrapped an arm back around you.

"Goodnight, I'll see you in the morning" you said.

When the hug broke you ruffled his fluffy hair with a smile before turning to walk off to bed. He watched you leave and when he heard the door close he sunk into his chair and covered his face which was burning with blush. How the hell did you manage to render him a mess so quickly?

"See, this is why you should work up the courage to talk to them"

He jumped, completely forgetting Watari was working over at the coffee table just behind where you were sitting. L gave him a glare, only to be met with a snicker.

"Never thought I'd see the day the great and powerful L is bought to a mess by a pretty person" he teased.

L just picked up a cushion and threw it at his caretaker. Watari simply caught it with one hand and threw it back at L, gently hitting him in the face.

"Don't deny it" he teased.

"Shut up" L replied.