Chapter 64 | all you need

This was it, the moment of truth. All your evidence compiled and being sent off to the courts, your last trail of the case was set for the next week. It would probably be a long trail, spanning several days, as there was so much to get though to paint a full picture, but this was the last part of one hell of a case.

"I suppose this is it, better start looking at plane tickets" you said, pulling the box of evidence from the backseat of the car.

"It'll be over by the start of October, organise it for then" L replied.

"Sounds good, brb I'm dropping these off"

Leaving the car, you went into the police station to drop the box of evidence and files off. You'd been here a lot over the course of the case, the front desk workers knew you by alias at this point.

"Ah they're back! Good morning detective Lockdale" the officer said, referring to you by alias.

"Good morning, I have all the files and evidence right here for processing and court. It'll be case closed pretty soon" you replied.

Putting the box on the desk, the officer took it from you and took a quick look inside to make sure everything was there.

"I'll send this to the team then. Hey, I'm not on the taskforce for this case so I'm not sure if it's true, but apparently L is on this case too?" The officer asked.

"Yep, they're the one that complied all this. I'm just the middle man really" you explained, half lying to not give away the fact you know and are dating L.

"Have you met them? They're such an interesting person to me. Being able to stay completely anonymous in this industry is an impressive feat"

"Not in person, only via email and having files sent back and fourth. They're very thorough I'll tell you that"

It felt kind of funny to talk about L as if you had no idea who he was, when he was literally sitting in the car outside.

"Interesting. And he found this case because of a string of murders in another country?" The officer asked.

"Yeah, the kidnappers of the girl were the same ones who ran the dark web site the poison killer got their snuff footage and poison. It's kind of confusing, but a wild story" you replied.

"That is confusing. Good thing L's on the case or no one would have made the connection... by the way is the girl ok? I never got an update"

"She's ok, she's in an orphanage but is doing very well now she's gotten help for all the trauma"

"Oh good, I was worried. You know, when you have kids yourself you kind of panic when things like this happen. Parental instinct I guess"

That was true... ever since you'd been taking care of Rosie you'd been very anxious about missing child cases and similar ones. It was that protective instinct, knowing a child can't take care of themselves and don't have full understanding of the world.

"Well I'll pass this on and I'll definitely be watching that trail. Thank you for bringing it down" the officer said.

"No worries, I'll see you some other wild case" you replied.

With a goodbye you went back to the car and climbed back into the front seat. As soon as the door closed, you couldn't help but snicker.

"What's so funny?" L asked.

"I had to pretend I'd never met you. The front desk guy was asking if I've ever met the mysterious L" you replied.

L giggled too, finding the irony funny. Here you were talking directly to him and having to pretend you had no idea what he looked like.

"I'll be doing that a lot if I'm gonna be working on more cases with you" you said.

"You'll have to get used to it, but after this case I'm definitely looking forward to that break" L replied.

"Me too, as much as I love investigating with you I need a break"

You looked at your watch, finding it was still pretty early in the day and you had some time to kill before going back to wammys. This trip was quicker than you'd thought.

"We have some time to kill, wanna go do something before we head back?" You asked.

L pondered a moment, checking the time himself to see how much time you had. Two whole hours before you had to head back.

"Hmm... we could go get bubble tea" he suggested.

"You don't have to ask me twice" you replied, starting the car and pulling out of the police stations car park "anything else?"

"Impromptu date?"

"Sounds fun, although what can we do in two hours? Not like we can go all the way to the movies or aquarium or something"

You both thought for a moment, wanting to take the time you had off to spend together. You'd been working so much and so hard these past few months, you both wanted to just relax and be with each other outside of work for once. All you'd done other than work and help at the orphanage was sleep really, you needed to do something different. Hmm, relaxing, quality time, two hours? It gave you an idea...

"Hey... you know of any hidden little areas around here?" You asked.

"Define further?" L replied.

"Like a lovers lane or something?"

That made L realise what you were insinuating, and his cheeks went pink at the suggestion. Not that he was going to say no, he was all for it. He just wasn't expecting you to be so blunt about it.

"Uhh... there is one if you take the right at the road to the orphanage instead of the left" he explained.

"It's just, we've been so busy and tense. And there's kids crawling all over the orphanage so it's not the best place to be for this. And besides, case is almost over so why not celebrate it? What do you say?" You asked.

"Yes, I say yes. But still, bubble tea first I'm thirsty"

"Yes bubble tea first. Then I can satisfy your OTHER thirst"

No one needed to know what you were doing for those two hours, you'd just say the trip took longer than you planned. Traffic and such, you'd just had to remember not to leave too many kiss marks on L this time...