Chapter 14 | talk

Maybe it was the new hotel being a nice change of scenery, but L felt rather refreshed today. Having just moved to a new location so you could stay for the case, and have more room to investigate you'd spent the past few days just getting everything organised really.

You were at a decent spot in the case with leads and suspects, you had more room and time to investigate, things were going well.

Although L was determined, both on the case and on something more personal. He wanted to talk to you.

He knew it wouldn't be much to start with, a simple good morning or saying your name would do. The last times he's tried, he just couldn't get the words out of his throat but he was determined to say something. He liked you, he wanted to keep you around, and for that he needed to be able to at least say a few words.

Even with the people he could talk to, there were still moments he just didn't have the energy for it. But with those people knowing him so well all it really took to communicate was a certain look or gesture. He wanted to get to that point with you.

He'd never been in a position like this before. A crush, a coworker, and the urge to try and talk. So he wasn't exactly sure what he was doing but he wanted to at least try.

Determined, he decided that today he'd be the one to make breakfast rather than you going out to get snacks as usual. He wasn't that good of a cook when it came to normal food, but he could make a million sweet things. So his first action of the day was whipping buttercream and chocolate chips into pancake mix. Big fluffy pancakes with fruit and whipped cream on top, one of the few things he could cook perfectly.

"Well, well, look at you being an adult"

L jumped, almost dropping the spatula.

"Damnit dad stop sneaking up on me" he muttered.

"What possessed you to cook for once?" Watari asked.

"... wanted pancakes"

Watari knew there was more to it than that, and it likely had to do with you. But he just let L get away with that lie, not wanting to push him. This was the first time he'd clearly fallen so hard and fast before, it was already a shock for him.

"I expect there'll be enough for everyone" he asked.

"Probably more than enough, I think I made too much batter..." L replied.

Pouring the batter into the pan, a satisfying sizzle and the smell of sweet cake filled the air. He hadn't had pancakes in a while but now he was smelling it, he craved it bad. And indeed he did end up making a bit too much batter, it seems you'd be having some leftovers for a while. A big stack of pancakes done, he moved onto chopping up fruit for it.

Of course, his favourite strawberries had to be in the mix. As well as mulberry, peach, banana and kiwi fruit.

It was just as he'd finished cutting the peaches when you finally awoke from your slumber.

"Damn, that enough pancakes for you?" You joked, still half asleep.

He shrugged, and if it say 'oops'. Gesturing to a plate, he offered you as many as you liked.

"What's with the sudden cooking? Usually we get bakery stuff" you asked, grabbing the plate and picking out the fluffiest pancakes.

He just shrugged again, not able to explain himself, the block in the back of his throat still stuck there. Plating up some for himself too, he made sure to leave at least SOME strawberries for you. He shook up the whipped cream can to fluff it up, and swirled some over his pancakes.

Gesturing to said can, he asked if you wanted some.

"Hm? Oh! Yeah gimme" you replied.

He knew you wouldn't go as sugar crazy as he would so instead of drenching the whole plate in it, he draw a smiley face on your pancakes with it. You couldn't help but giggle at his sweetness.

"Thanks" you smiled.

He nodded a 'you're welcome' and passed you a knife and fork. Leaving some left for Watari too when he decides to have breakfast, you both went to sit at the table. As you sat around the table eating your breakfast, you were rather surprised how good we was at cooking. At least at cooking sweet things, because this was really good.

"Oh my god this is so good, you're gonna make me a sugar addict like you" you said, trying to fit some pancake, whipped cream and fruit all on your fork.

He smiled, glad you enjoyed it. The whole idea was to make you something nice for breakfast after all.

It was relatively silent as you ate, not really able to talk with a mouth full of pancakes and fruit. As he looked down at his plate, stabbing at strawberries and dipping them in cream, he kept thinking to himself...

Talk to them.

Just one thing.

Talk to them.

Say something simple.

He knew he couldn't push himself, but he really wanted to say at least SOMETHING. Whole writing out his thoughts like he did before was helpful, he'd much rather not be internally dying trying to say something as simple as good morning to you.

Just something small, something easy. Something you can't mess up. Like hello, good morning, how are you? It didn't have to be something crazy complicated like a whole rant about the case.

Hearing you scrape up the last of your food, he tried to keep himself calm and not overthinking, so if you said something he might be able to reply.

"Man that was good, you're gonna get me addicted, thanks for that" you said, getting up to put your plate in the sink.

Come on that's your chance.

Say something L.

His heart was racing, but he was determined.

Reply to them.

Say something.

If he liked you so much, surely he could say just one little thing right?

SAY IT!

"Y-you're welcome"

You stopped in your tracks, taking a moment to process what just happened.

He spoke.

He spoke to you.

The person with mutism spoke to you. He trusted you. And holy shit... his voice was gorgeous. So smooth, deep and relaxing.

A smile broke on your face.

"Make some again sometime ok?" You replied, ruffling his hair on the way past.

You knew that was probably a big challenge for him, so you wouldn't push him. And you'd probably not hear something else for a while. But just the fact he managed to say one thing to you meant he trusted you, and that's all you wanted.

And FUCK his voice was so nice.

When you turned into the kitchen area, out of sight. L just buried his face in his hands and internally screamed. He did it! He said something! It was only two words but it was something!

He had to start somewhere right? Even with his racing heart and internal panic he smiled, proud of himself for doing something that seemed impossible only a month or so ago. It was the fasted he'd ever been able to talk to someone, he must really, really like you if he could do that.