Amnesia

Chapter 6: Amnesia

Megan's Point of View

Detroit, Michigan United States, 2012

“When is she going to wake up?” A deeply worried female voice queried as I became conscious with my breathing. My whole body feels limp like it wasn’t moved for a very long time. I feel numb but I can miraculously sense movements around the bed where I was lying.

I can hear tensed paces, steadfast fanning and hopeless sighs. I started to wonder who these people might be. My brain has started to become useful again as it bombarded me with questions I can never answer.

If I really wasn’t moved for quite some time, then since when am I lying here? Where am I? And more importantly; who am I? The inner me has squeezed my brain enough to find answers but it was all in vain.

“Your daughter’s vital signs are stable Mrs. Miller.” A coarse voice of an old man broke my concentration as he assured the ‘Mrs. Miller’, tapping her shoulder. She released a sigh and maybe managed a smile as the old man returned it in courtesy. Both Mrs. Miller and another lady nodded in response as the old man in white was lead to exit by a maid.

Wait, what? My sub-conscious squeaked. I’m only supposed to hear things because of my immobilized situation. I’m not supposed to see them. My heart gave a sudden leap with the thought of my soul roaming around the room but my heavy breathing assured me that I’m still alive, though not kicking.

I tried forcing myself to move this time hoping it would actually do, even just one muscle, but then I failed. I never stopped until my concentration was again interrupted. Now with a knock on some kind of hard wood and the sound of the door knob cracking open without permission.

“Mother, is everything all right? I saw the doctor’s car in the parking lot. Is Megan…” Somehow, I feel something familiar with the soft troubled male voice of the barging visitor.

I can feel him panting, which gives an impression of him running to get where he is. “Hey, kiddo. I bought you roses today.” The boy stated as he held my limp right hand and brushed his soft lips against it. Instantly, it sent shivers into my nape and along my spine causing me to feel more of my muscles.

I wanted to open my eyes. I wanted to know who these people are. Maybe that became my motivation to start trying again.

I concentrated on my facial muscles and eventually, I felt a bead of sweat trickling from my hairline towards the side of my cheek. With it I managed to wrinkle my forehead causing the boy to jump out of my bed.

“Mom! Aunt Vivian, she’s awake.” I could hear hard heels running around the hard wood floor towards me as soft cold hands grasped both of mine.

“You can do it darling. Open your eyes.” Mrs. Miller’s voice was soft and warm. In contrast with her cold tightening grip that somehow made me realize I still had my left hand undetached. I tried opening my eyes again as she wiped the bead of sweat off my cheek with a soft damp towel.

This time, I managed to open them. Though only for a fraction of seconds, it already has brought them sighs of relief and subtle frantic commotions.

“Close the curtains.” Another female voice commanded. Whoever she was I promise to thank her when I get up on this sick bed. The light has blinded me the instant I opened my eyes. I felt the brightness quickly decrease with her command as I had the nerve to open them up again.

All I could see at first was the color brown, followed by swirls of gold and flowery prints of red in the ceiling above me. My vision gradually became better as I had a clearer view of two lovely women holding each of my hands and one handsome creature sitting on my bed.