Knowing him and his Roots

Chapter 16: Knowing Him And His Roots

I looked at myself in the mirror.

With a blade on my hand, I held the tip against the side of my face.

I closed my eyes and slowly, I pushed it deeper in my cheek.

I felt the sharp sensation of the pain as the warmth of my blood slowly dripped down my jaw.

The knock on my door brought me back to senses as I wiped my face down, closely looking at how fast my cuts heal compared to my aunt Bertha.

“Come in.” I said while throwing the damp cloth to the laundry basket. I turn around to see Kathy in a flashy pink outfit that yells ‘I wanna get laid tonight!’.

“Oh Megan you look so fab. I knew a beige bandage dress would make you look like a woman.” She giggled excitedly and grabbed my hand to drag me out of the door and down the stairs.

“I’ll bring her back before midnight Mrs. Miller!” She yells as she waves at my mom and my aunts. As they said their goodbyes.

The music in Kathy’s car blasted extra loudly in her stereo. She told me it was Paramore who sang it. I thought Paramore was an odd name for a girl but later she told me it was a the name of the band and the singer’s name is Hayley.

I liked how she sang. We rode to their song; Ignorance, as Kathy sang with it. Later on I started to have thoughts on who’s hosting the party we’re going to.

“Um, I think you haven’t told me whose party we are going to.” I spoke as she lowered the volume of her speakers.

“Would you come with me if I told you?” She answered with a mischievous smirk plastered on her face.

“What are you talking about?” I ask plainly. “I don’t think anyone can stop me from going to this party. This is the first one that I’ll be going to since I can remember.”

“You’re right. I’m sure you’ll love it. And oh, I almost forgot. Here’s your gate pass. This party is invitations only so you better stick to me while we’re entering the house. You’ll be coming as my date, because the only ones who wants to date me are freaking douchebags.” She said, handing me a shiny gold card that somehow reminded me of something.

“Hey Kathy. What do this sign mean? It’s like a rising sun.” On the card was a message. ‘On his eighteenth birthday, do enjoy the night.’

“I don’t exactly know but I think it’s their family’s emblem. You’ll see a lot more of that when we get it in.” She said as she slowed down and parked on the side of the street where cars lined up.

“Who exactly are we going to attend?” I asked as I came out of the car door.

“Wait and see.” She said as she took my hand and we walked straight to the tall gold colored gates with all the other guests. We went past the two huge bald men in suits after we showed them our gold cards, got our purses checked and our names verified from the guest list.

I could see familiar faces from school like Therese Connors and her date Reece Dragomir but most of them I do not recognize. As I looked up to see how beautiful the interior of their house is, I saw a huge carving of the emblem beaming with dimmed yellow light just above their white painted porch.

The ivory pillars, the white marble balusters, the white tiled floors, everything is sparkling and squeaky clean. Despite the darkness of the night, their house shined a million times brighter than our house in the light of day.