Remembering What's Used to Be

Chapter 18: Remembering What's Used to Be

My heart was racing as I took the first few steps towards my mother. My knees were trembling underneath my pink flannel pajamas but I try my best to stay still.

She was looking at me, curious of why I came to her office at this time of the night. She straightened her back and smiled. “What is it sweetie?” She said as she closed her laptop and placed her hands together on top of it. I stopped and sat on a shiny black chair in front of her varnished wooden desk.

“Um, mommy.” I said, mimicking the way actresses do it on TV. “The party I went to today, it was my classmate Kyle’s birthday. And… and my friends told me that there would be an acquaintance party and team building exercises starting Monday. The thing is; I really want to go with them but it would be four days and three nights of camping.”

My mother, Vivian Miller seems to be far from the standards of a normal mom. She is quiet and she seems to rarely laugh. She is composed one hundred percent of the time and she makes sure that everything is statistical and in order. She seems to be a woman of security and perfection in strange dangerous mix.

After a long pause she breathed in to answer me. “Do you have someone to share a tent with then? For I am absolutely positive that we don’t have one. Well we did but we left it back in London.” She spoke in a thick British accent.

“Does that mean you’re letting me go camping? What about my condition?” I asked, not believing that she would let me go camping without so making so much fuss about it.

“Darling you have Amnesia, you don’t have a missing leg. You remember the basics in life and that’s the most important thing you should know to continue living like you did before. Camping would be a breeze for you. You used to love camping before. We go camping every summer before your father… passed away, but now you are going to make new memories.” She said and I was just so happy. I hope Kyle does things fast in Prague so we could still go camping with everybody.

“Thank you mother.” I said.

“So tell me darling, did you enjoy the party?” She asked and it became my opportunity to blab and ask seemingly random things so I could fly to Prague.

“It was so much fun mother. There were so many food and the people were really nice. The birthday celebrant was bragging about going to another country this summer. I think he was slightly intoxicated as he started showing everyone this little book with his trips around England on it.” I said, wanting her to follow on the flow of the conversation.

“Oh Megan darling, it’s called a ‘passport’ you will be needing it if you’re planning on travelling from across the seas. You have one as well. It’s on the desk drawer in your room.” She said.

“Oh yeah because we travelled from London to here. I’ll take a look at my passport later. I wish I knew what London looks like. Maybe I’ll watch movies again tonight.” I said and I stood up.

“That’s good darling. Try watching more than two movies tonight. It’d help you a lot.” She said.

“Mom, I think I should go to bed. They said I’ll have to be early at school tomorrow so I won’t be left by the buss.” I added.

“Very well then, off you go.” She said as she opened a drawer and take out a wad of cash. “Here, buy yourself and your friends some snacks and insect repellant sprays. I don’t want you getting all itchy and blotchy during camping. Your dad would be okay with it but I hate it when we get back home and you end up with blotches all over your skin.” She said, seemingly reminiscing a beautiful memory.