Meat Cravings

Chapter 21: Meat Cravings

In my peripheral vision I can somehow see Wesley glancing at me from time to time. It didn’t feel right but I somehow feel that this has happened before.

“We’re here.” The driver parked the car in front of a huge wooden house that seemed centuries old. It was then that my thoughts were averted to reality. From the moment I opened my eyes to recover from that dream, I hadn’t stopped thinking about Kyle and how it was possible that we shared the same dream about each other.

The men in black suits opened the car door for us to exit and we did. Uncle George and the platoon of armed men came out of the black van as well. I didn’t even notice they were following behind us all these time. The scent of freshly cut grass and wet pine trees filled my olfactory as my eyes wandered in awe of the beautiful view.

The rock garden is well kempt with beautiful pink peonies surrounding every cupid sculpture and lining every corner of the white picket fences that surrounded the house. In the center was a white marble fountain with a cupid pointing an arrow to the sky. A smile crept on my face as I walked in the rough stone pavement towards the house.

From behind Mika’s flawless shoulder, I could see the top part of the door being opened. A finely dressed old lady came out towards the porch and stood there to give us a scrutinizing glare. A young man in white suit followed the old lady, having the same blank expressionless face.

“Come in children.” The old lady spoke with authority as the four of us stepped up to the porch. Uncle George came with us as well but the old lady’s glare halted him. “You are no child, George.” She said as she turned towards the door being opened by a maid in uniform. The young man in white tux followed her.

“She will lead you to the dining hall.” She spoke with clear lack of interest as she gestured to the maid that bowed to her command. I studied her features as she slowly walked in front of us to get to the living room. Her hair was pure white and knotted into the perfect braided bun that rested on top of her nape. Her eyebrows were penciled to perfection and her lips, almost invisible with the miniscule size. The green velvety long sleeved dress that she wore brought color to her moss green eyes but surely did not compliment her pale white skin that matched her layered pearl necklace.

She looked at me and I was just frozen. There was something in this old lady that erased the word ‘happy’ and all its synonyms off of my vocabulary. “What is it child?” She asked dryly as she walked towards me, now carrying a rather large wooden box.

She then gave it to the young man in white tux who seemed to have a huge disapproving look with regards to the conversation I’m about to have. I returned the stare and realized he wasn’t as old as he was dressed to become. He had this silvery blond hair, long enough to be tied in the back. His eyes were the darkest shade of bluish green that hovered above me. Damn he’s tall.

The old lady cleared her throat and my eyes were back to her scary image once again.

“I” I started but I suddenly felt out of words. There was something in those eyes that I somehow recognize and it pains me to be unable to remember. “I just wanted to say that.” I stopped, noticing the huge scar she had on the side of her cheek. “… that you have a lovely home.” I miraculously made a compliment out of utter fear. I managed a smile as well.

“Thank you. I try my best to keep it this way. Safe and bounded away from the creatures of the night that might come lurking around.” She said as a ghost of a smile was almost visible in her unmoving face. White tux guy was still not pleased. “Now off you go.” She gestured to the hallway as Kyle came running to get me.