I better pack my Bags

Chapter 17: I better pack my Bags

‘‘I’m not the kind of girl who would lie to my mother just to go somewhere with a boy I barely know but the idea of going to another country on a private plane just sounds too exciting’’

He wanted to talk to me somewhere else private. That's why te two of us proceeded into his room. Knowing that the house is packed with people. 

He sat in his bed and gestured for me to sit beside him. As I did, he moved to face me.

“There are 10 of these gold crests.” He spoke as he removed the pin from his collar to show it to me.

I moved closer to him to take a better look at the intricate design of the rising sun behind two mountains.

“I honestly and personally don’t believe that Vampires of any sort exist.” He said with a pained look. “Until my father was killed by one of them.”

“Kyle that’s horrible. But how? And... and what proof do you have?”

“I was eight years old when it happened. It was my older cousin Gregory’s coming of age. Mom, dad and I flew to Brooklyn to attend the party. It was then that we were hijacked. The lights went out and the lights went on. My dad, my cousin Gregory, my other Cousin Myles and four of my uncles where killed by those savages.” There was eminent rage flowing in his eyes as my voice was nowhere to be found. “It was fast, so fast that they didn’t even have the chance to scream or cry for help.” Sadness replaced the anger in his voice as I took initiative to hold his hand. “But then again I was thankful to them.” He said with a ghost of a smile on his face.

“Wha.. Why?” I asked, surprised of what I just heard.

“During the few second that the light was out. I was alone near the refreshments table, unable to reach the punch bowl. I felt a soft cold hand stroking my hair and she said ‘Let’s stop this war darling.’ And she handed me a full glass. When the lights went on, I noticed I was already holding a glass of lemonade that I couldn’t even reach. I looked around to see if there was any woman around my vicinity but there was none. Right then and there I heard my mother scream, followed by Gregory’s mother and, Myles’. Everyone was screaming and crying and calling for help. It was… traumatic.” He released a deep heavy breath. “And I until now, there are still nights when I see this tragedy in my dreams again.” He said.

“They killed your father and your relatives.” I said, like suggesting that he should be mad unlike his calm composed state.

“No Megan, don’t you get it? They spared me. They spared us all. They only killed those who have been killing their kind. And Gregory who has killed a lot even before his 18th birthday. Only those who have the gold pins. They knew I was the one coming of age next. That’s why she told me to stop the war.” He explained.

“Does your mother know about this?” I asked.

“No, she can’t know about any of this. My mother being the wife of the eldest son is now the head of the whole Dawson clan since my grandparents died last year. If she knew that one of them had reached out to me before she’ll be furious thinking that I have been compelled.”

“Compelled?” I asked.

“You see, my mom knows that I’m against the killing. I’ve never liked the idea of wandering the forests at night, looking for women to burn. If I told her that one of them has spoke to me before she might think that I'm just compelled to think that way. Because I'm not, I never even saw that woman's face." He said and looked me in the eyes. "My second cousin Mika from just turned 18 last year and it’s a tradition that we all fly to the Carpathians for a week to hunt. She had her first kill in the Slovakian areas. Also her second, third, fourth. God she was filled with overflowing blood lust. She killed 21 within just one week. And I was there to see it all. This year, it's my turn.”