The New Neighbors

Chapter 2 : The New Neighbors

Charlotte's Point of View

London, 1666

"Thou will not go!" Aunt Vivian strongly pronounced, gaining the attention of the busy maid and her two beautiful sisters. Crumpling the invitation in her hands and throwing it with the other invitations on the coffee table, Aunt Lora warily picked it up.

"That doesn't sound like the usual." I replied, my eyes surveying my closet for a new gown to where. Even if they tell me not to, I know they'd let me.

"Vivi, is this it?" Aunt Lora whispered. Trembling, her eyes stapled on the crumpled courting ball invitation that her sister just threw. Blood rose to her cheeks in a slight fit of anger and anxiety. She becomes even more beautiful with the look of warmth on her pale face.

"Oh Lora dear, tis just a courting ball. Our Charlotte won't be left in the wall if that's what thou worries about." Aunt Margaret assured Aunt Lora as she soothingly stroked her back.

"Tis the surname dear Margaret. Tis them finding out our Charlotte, I fear and not some silly wall flower problems." Aunt Lora sat on a nearby chair and leaned on the coffee table to inhale the sweet fragrance of the newly picked roses sitting on a white porcelain vase.

Aunt Lora is the paranoid one, a paranoia that only the scent of roses can cure. The scent of it has become more of an aroma therapy for her. I wonder what she really was when she was still human.

"What might be wrong with the Ravenhearsts?" I asked as I finally picked a gown and went to the other side of the closet to look for shoes to match it.

"Christ! Charlotte have you forgotten the news we told you last year about the new surnames? The Ravenhearsts, they're the French circle. That ... venomous woman, Portia Bay married the owner of that manor, which left her with his son when he died." Aunt Vivian blurted, her eyebrows meeting with irritation of my forgetfulness, or shall I say insensibility.

"Hence?" I replied gasping for air as the maid tightend my girdle up. Too tight. Too tight girdle and too tight Aunt.

"Ohh, dear God." Aunt Vivian sighed hopelessly as I saw her raise both hands motioning an 'I give up' gesture to Aunt Margaret who tried to talk me through.

Aunt Lora was still inhaling the sweet fragrance of the pretty blood red roses as Aunt Margaret left her to fix my hair. Aunt Margaret is the considerate one. Maybe too considerate that I'm beginning to become their spoiled little brat... as I am.

"If thou really dread to go then..." Aunt Margaret started, looking at me and releasing the last word to the mirror in the dresser along with a soft uncomfortable sigh.

"Oh please. Oh please Aunt Margaret." I clutched her hands, begging my way through my favorite Aunt.

". . .As long as all of us come with thee." Aunt Margaret suggested, turning to me with a faint smile.

"Goodness me, of course!" I leaped on my seat and embraced my dear Aunt. Clapping my hands like a five year old receiving an award, Aunt Vivian pulled Aunt Margaret by the arm and dragged her out of my room seemingly disappointed of her sister's idea. Aunt Vivian was the overprotective one. She's the main elder anyway, always protective of her precious circle of vampires.

Now all that's left in the room were the maid, whom I asked to fix my hair, Aunt Lora, who's currently starting to doze off, and me, trying to eavesdrop a conversation on the other side of the door.

They were talking about the fulfillment of some prophecy and the danger it might bring to the main circle and the kingdom and something like that. I don't really care. And then, I heard a...