Bedtime Story

Chapter 9: The Bedtime Story

“First you have to know that there are different kinds of vampires.” Aunt Olivia started as our eyes stapled to her.

“There are Sanguine vampires. They are the original vampire species, the ‘true’ vampire. This being the case, they are more powerful, intelligent and beautiful of all vampire species. They are also the most common.” She sighed and a ghost of a smile appeared in her full pressed lips.

“You know, not all vampires feed in blood. There are Psi vampires; they feed on the life energy, memories and thoughts of mortals.”

“Feed on memories?” I asked more to myself than to Aunt Olivia.

“Yes dear. But don’t worry; your memories were lost in a car accident. Psi vamps aren’t involved in it: hopefully.” She smiled jokingly hiding tension in her voice.

“How do they do it?” Lourdes asked.

“Curious one, are you?” Aunt Olivia smiled as she stroked Lourdes’s hair. “They must have eye contact with their victim, whether they have physical contact or not. Once this eye contact has been established, the human finds it very hard, if not impossible to break eye contact until their captor releases them. Given the energies on which they feed, it is very easy for a Psi vampire to kill their prey, especially if the human suffers from mental instability, some sort of sickness or has a serious physical injury.” She said as were all left to nod. She seems too serious about making us informed with such untrue myths.

“We also have the Empathic Vampires who feed on the emotions of their mortal counterparts. The emotions that the feed upon need to be strong, such as love, hate, jealousy or happiness, or they will provide little to no sustenance for the emotion leeches.”

“Will the emotion disappear after they feed?” Jenny asked as she hauled herself in a sitting position to get a better view of Aunt Olivia.

“Yes dear. The person will be void of such emotion. They simply need to be standing within five meters from the person, or people on which they are ‘feeding’.”

“Gosh, so I gotta keep Mathew away from those ones.” Jenny giggled as she let Aunt Olivia carry on.

“One of the most dangerous ones are the Soul Vampires, these soul suckers feed on the souls of Human beings. They have no choice but to kill their victim, unless they turn them into a Soul Vampire.” This sounded more of a warning than a mere introduction to her bedtime story.

“Oh! Oh, I know this one.” Lourdes blurted as she sat up to speak. “The feeding process is the most intimate of all vampire species, as the vampire must be kissing, or be within close proximity to their victim.”

“Yes indeed, Lourdes darling. They literally suck the soul from their victims. They have no other option but to take the whole soul of their victim, and while doing this, they learn everything there is about their human, everything from memories to skills.”

“What if the human refuses to kiss?” Jenny blurted.

“Then no feeding will occur. This needs a willing victim.” Aunt Olivia answered.

“Interested, Jenny?” She asked tauntingly. Jenny just giggled and nodded her head. I sat up straight in clear interest of where this story might lead to.

“Fortunately, this story would tackle every kind of our kind.” She said happily. What? The inner me had her hands fly on her chest.

“I..I mean every kind of the vampire kind” She corrected as Jenny and Lourdes gave her angry piercing glares. Did they just do that?